• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha done with sleds

I disagree. With Yamaha stating they will offer parts for years, I think most Winders will hold their value well. I bet there will be big demand for the 2025's.
In addition, if parts aren't available from Yamaha, just go to a Cat dealer.
Look at how strong demand remains for the 2002 SRX
Point taken. Time will tell. The market has been flopping around since COVID, not specific to snowmobiling, just in general.

We should keep in mind that yamaha exiting the snowmobile business is really about the yamaha snowmobile brand. Yamaha motors will happily make motors for anyone that wants one, its what they do. Additionally there would likely have been exit agreements in place with arctic cat to ensure their own business continuity, this means parts and any tooling or tooling contacts (vendors) that cat would need to keep their own commitments to customers. Typically this would mean a 5 year plan for parts availability (chips, switches, cables, etc they use to manufacturer and service sleds) and a 5-7 year total wind down of the model line(s) from today.

We should keep in mind that yamaha exiting the snowmobile business is really about the yamaha snowmobile brand. Yamaha motors will happily make motors for anyone that wants one, its what they do. Additionally there would likely have been exit agreements in place with arctic cat to ensure their own business continuity, this means parts and any tooling or tooling contacts (vendors) that cat would need to keep their own commitments to customers. Typically this would mean a 5 year plan for parts availability (chips, switches, cables, etc they use to manufacturer and service sleds) and a 5-7 year total wind down of the model line(s) from today.
Who are they supplying engines to in vehicles that aren't all Yamaha outside of sleds?

Point taken. Time will tell. The market has been flopping around since COVID, not specific to snowmobiling, just in general.
Yup. A lot of the junk sleds have dropped prices big time since the Covid pricing of the last few seasons. Sidewinders still seem to hold their value in the used market. Anything 2 stroke, especially Polaris, seem to have dropped a lot of in value. And the old sleds like apex and Nytro’s. Vipers are still worth the same as they were brand new interestingly enough.

Resale value will take a hit, however the fact that Vipers and Sidewinders are Cats will help. Many times when a brand dies one of the things that really hurts resale is fear of long term parts and service availability. This is a different situation. The company that actually built these is still building sleds. Some people don't want a dead brand so it will be impacted, but it's not like the company and manufacturer is completely gone and the parts network is cut off.

Last edited:
Who are they supplying engines to in vehicles that aren't all Yamaha outside of sleds?

The Toyota LFA, Polestar supercar, and the Volvo XC90 are a few recent examples.
The XC90 motor is used also in the Noble supercar and possibly one of the Koenigsegg cars (the B8444s is very distinctive looking) and many race boats. Yamaha also is a supplier to many if not most of the offshore luxury powerboat companies. Previous to that it was of course a supplier to toyota multiple times, and ford.

R.I.P.
The real question is, now that they're devalueized, do you sell it and move on or keep it?
Hmmmm.... The sky is falling =not
Don't fall into the "chicken little syndrome"
Life goes on with or without Yamaha branded sleds....
Enjoy what you have and block the social media BS.
My 2¢

Hmmmm.... The sky is falling =not
Don't fall into the "chicken little syndrome"
Life goes on with or without Yamaha branded sleds....
Enjoy what you have and block the social media BS.
My 2¢
I agree. I go out with some young guys that buy older sleds and keep them running and have a blast on them. They don't even care that much about brand. I could ride any brand and have a good time on it. Sledding should be about fun anyhow. When it's time to replace my Viper I'll just buy something else. It'll probably be a Cat, but who knows. If a person quits riding because there are no longer new Yamaha sleds then they weren't doing it to have fun.

R.I.P.
The real question is, now that they're devalueized, do you sell it and move on or keep it?
FACK no. Replace it with what? There is no other sled in its category. No, the boost is not the same to me.
I say if you enjoy it, keep it and ride the snot out of it.
There will come a day when it will be time to move on as suspension tech moves but today is not that day for me.

The Toyota LFA, Polestar supercar, and the Volvo XC90 are a few recent examples.
The XC90 motor is used also in the Noble supercar and possibly one of the Koenigsegg cars (the B8444s is very distinctive looking) and many race boats. Yamaha also is a supplier to many if not most of the offshore luxury powerboat companies. Previous to that it was of course a supplier to toyota multiple times, and ford.
Yamaha is just Toyotas motor company in a nutshell.

Yamaha is just Toyotas motor company in a nutshell.
Not quite.
Yamaha has done work for them on multiple projects over a long period of time, mostly on performance models ranging from the 1967-70 2000GT to the MR2 to the current hydrogen v/8 they showed in 2022.
Most of the time it is to tune an existing engine including heads, intake etc.

Well, maybe I stand corrected. Just listed an hour ago. $24k.
IMG_20230628_131822284_copy_1536x2048.jpg

Back