• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha has new sleds coming

Not silly at all and why 2000 miles?
As cool as o think the new Ford lightning is, it's no good to me if I cant go north pulling four machines 8 hours straight.

Just pulled 2000 of my arse as a exaggeration. Electric wouldn't work for me either, and by silly I meant the generic argument that electric vehicles aren't good because they don't work for *our* cases specifically. Most people really just don't drive cars long distances, so again, i think both gas and electric have their places.

I will say %100 yamaha is going to have new sleds from Japan 2024!!!they are savoring to bring back the VMAX..I Am happy with my srx,apex and sidewinder till then..

For as long as the fuel supply chain lasts, then you have nothing. ;)

Its hard to even talk about energy without the thread going sideways, but in its most basic form.. electricity is a very easy to make, easy to distribute, and easy to use energy source. Far more simple than anything based on hydrocarbons. Once the battery problems are solved (or the charging rates are improved) the whole discussion becomes a non-issue as electric motors are far easier to make than ICE engines are and economics will rule the day. Until then (which is a ways out) we should all enjoy our powersports as they exist today but be open minded about the future. It wasn't that long ago that the idea of putting forced induction in mass produced consumer snowmobiles was crazy talk.. or that having more power in a snowmobile than my wife does in her SUV was not only possible, it was desirable and yet, here we are.
I agree that energy is easy to make and distribute but, it is the batteries I am concerned about. Not only do they need to figure out the batteries problems, they need to figure out how to dispose of them properly once they are not longer usable. Also, they need to figure out how to keep from damaging the environment where the raw materials for the batteries come from. Until these things can be figured out, I am not going to support electric vehicles of any kind.

Polaris filed for trademarks for there electric snowmobiles there working on.."patriot electron"&"patriot charge"

I agree that energy is easy to make and distribute but, it is the batteries I am concerned about. Not only do they need to figure out the batteries problems, they need to figure out how to dispose of them properly once they are not longer usable. Also, they need to figure out how to keep from damaging the environment where the raw materials for the batteries come from. Until these things can be figured out, I am not going to support electric vehicles of any kind.

These are valid concerns. That said, the extraction and refining of petro resources is as bad or worse than those of REMs for batteries, so I'd argue that alone isn't a valid reason to fear the electrons. The batteries can be largely recycled, and I'd expect as electric vehicles become more prevalent, an entire recycling and second use supply chain will become more mature, as well as charging infrastructure. I'll go back to a previous point I made which is we've had 100+ years of refinement in petrol and ICEs and have largely reached the end point with them. Wide spread electric is still in a relative infancy and comparing something with 100+ years of refinement and build out isn't exactly apples to apples. The base we are starting from with electrics is light years ahead of the start of petrol, and we can only expect it to get exponentially better as we get further down the evolutionary track.

All resource extraction no matter what it is causes massive environmental damage. No argument there. The good news about lithium is that it is literally everywhere, and the projected lithium reserves have grown significantly now that we are looking for it, and the extraction methods have gotten a lot greener (at least in the lab). Also there is the fact that lithium is recyclable which will help offset the production/consumption cycle. Step back a hundred years or so and we were in the same place with petroleum. The faster we can shift our R&D resources to new ways of extracting key elements and generating power the faster we will get past these issues. Even in the past 5 years, the advancements in battery technology have come a long way... but not far enough.

I have been considering switching to the T Cat as I have a dealer 2 miles away, but the lack of colour packages(one) has me thinking I won't be.
Purple and green, ugh.
I do like that clutch I must admit, I would love to try that out.

I have been considering switching to the T Cat as I have a dealer 2 miles away, but the lack of colour packages(one) has me thinking I won't be.
Purple and green, ugh.
I do like that clutch I must admit, I would love to try that out.
That’s why they make wraps!

We are at least ten years from sled doing anything

Back