• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha Nytro Straight Pipe

Nick B.

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Yamaha Nytro XTX
Hey Everybody, I'm making this post to bring up a previous topic. "Can you straight pipe a Yamaha Nytro?" What do you all think? Give some ideas/thoughts for the newbies on this.

You can but nobody has a MAP to support a straight piped Yamaha (it will not run properly without back pressure). MBRP race can would be preferred if you are looking for that sound. By that sound, I mean 'hillbilly in the city' compared to the straight piped 'hillbilly with his cousin'. (luckily I can laugh at my own jokes)

You can but nobody has a MAP to support a straight piped Yamaha (it will not run properly without back pressure). MBRP race can would be preferred if you are looking for that sound. By that sound, I mean 'hillbilly in the city' compared to the straight piped 'hillbilly with his cousin'. (luckily I can laugh at my own jokes)
So in that picture, of my sled, where it's highlighted, if I bought pipe from my local auto store and used it, it wouldn't work?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 298
It will sound like crap look like crap and run like crap what more can I say lol.

GC_SRT, how is the engine set up to run with backpressure, on a NA engine back pressure is one of the worst things to have....is it not?

GC_SRT, how is the engine set up to run with backpressure, on a NA engine back pressure is one of the worst things to have....is it not?
that's what I was thinking...

I believe you would have to tune for it. When I bought my sled it had an exhaust on it that was blown to pieces (broken before the muffler). It was very loud.

I don't understand the appeal of having a sled so loud you can't ride it but that's just my opinion.

It WILL make it a Dog and sound like #*$&@. If you do this make sure you live in the country far from any neighbors and don't ever take it on a public trail! A nice tuned sounding exhaust is one thing, Noise pollution is another. Never heard of it on a Yamaha four stroke but you could burn valves. I don't know where you ride but you will get a ticket where I ride, it's illegal!

The sled's stock tune (which is speed density unlike your car) is designed for a certain restriction in the intake and exhaust (without a MAS and O2 sensor like your car, it cannot compensate for the increased air flow). If you remove the restriction (within reason), you will gain more power due to increased air flow (think of a pump will less restricting piping) but you need to add more air. From memory, I believe my MAP adds to to 15-20% more air in the 7-8k rpm range at 100% throttle. If you don't have any restriction in your exhaust, you will need to tune it or it will sound like crap. The problem is there are not very much people doing custom tunes to support this, they only support the common mods (full excel, k&n, both, etc.). The solution being a Power Commander with AutoTune. The AutoTune adds an O2 sensor to your system so you don't lean out your engine (causing problems).

As for less is more with exhaust, this is not always true. The problem with too little back pressure is you loose the scavenging effect of the system. Which is basically the ability to remove exhaust gases from your combustion chamber. I agree that it is a 4 stroke so it can handle no restriction but you need to tune accordingly.

I am not saying I am an expert in the situation, but you need to find an exhaust with more restriction rather than less. In other words, stay away from the straight through mufflers like a 'cherry bomb' and go with a more conventional muffler that has maintains the stockish level of back pressure. You will thank me later (eventually).

I should clarify (before I get jumped on), that your car has both a speed density and O2 and mass air flow sensor.

Scavenging will be an issue and besides the sound police will give you a big ticket, at least in New Hampshire they will as they are pulling noisy sleds over and ticketing them.

so basically, not a good idea. buy a slip on.

Back