• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

YCC-I ?

cat hunter

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
I read in a Quebec snowmobile magazine that Yamaha might add this to there sleds.This magazine was in French so I had a friend translate it.So would YCC-I [YAMAHA CHIP CONTROLLED INTAKE] work on a sled ??? :jump:

It would make more sence on a motorcycle than a snowmobile,it's like traction control smoothing out the power when throttle is applied.It varies the velocity stack length to either 65mm or 140 mm. But you never know could happen.

I don't think you have it exactly right, you vary the length of the intake to optimise power. With an fixed intake you always have to make an compromise, either tune it for high end power or low or something in between.

This can help low end torque, or replace it if you lose it when you Rev an engine higher.

morrisond said:
I don't think you have it exactly right, you vary the length of the intake to optimise power. With an fixed intake you always have to make an compromise, either tune it for high end power or low or something in between.

This can help low end torque, or replace it if you lose it when you Rev an engine higher.

No I do have it right! same system as the R1 & R6 motorcycle go to the web site and check out the electronically controlled velocity stack.

From Yammies website

"Yamaha Chip Control Intake electronically adjusts intake funnel length between either 65 or 140mm for an amazingly broad, smooth powerband.

It does not function like traction control which either reduces power or applies the brakes to smooth acceleration, it smooths out the power by filling in holes by having an intake of the proper resonant length which is very important on an 4 stroke and is RPM dependant.

At high RPM you want very short stacks to optimize HP and at low RPM very long ones to maximize torque.

Don't ask me why this is so, I don't know.

But I know it doesn't act as traction control.

morrisond said:
From Yammies website

"Yamaha Chip Control Intake electronically adjusts intake funnel length between either 65 or 140mm for an amazingly broad, smooth powerband.

It does not function like traction control which either reduces power or applies the brakes to smooth acceleration, it smooths out the power by filling in holes by having an intake of the proper resonant length which is very important on an 4 stroke and is RPM dependant.

At high RPM you want very short stacks to optimize HP and at low RPM very long ones to maximize torque.

But I know it doesn't act as traction control.

Without it power would be like a light switch causing the rear tire to break loose coming off a corner more without it than with it,with the YCC-I it allows the rider to get on the gas earlier and harder without breaking the rear tire loose as much.Trust me I witnessed it all last year during the PARTS CANADA SUPERBIKE SERIES.Unfourtunatly it didn't help we ended up taking both titles anyway.Although not a true traction control it definatly helps,Real traction control usually retardes the timing when it sences wheel spin or a wheelie.

Attachments

• 2007_ChampBanner_en.jpg
    2007_ChampBanner_en.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 20070603_2173001001.jpg
    20070603_2173001001.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 20070810_0694.jpg
    20070810_0694.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 120
I am not sure it would be that useful on a sled, because of CVT if you are being agressive, you are always between say 8-11 K RPM.

On a motorcycle (if you dont down shift) you could be at 4k RPM rolling on full throttle. There things like variable intake and variable valve timing and lift would make a big differance.

morrisond said:

High RPM - high frequency - short wave length
Low RPM - low frequency - long wave length

You want to use the compression wave to squeeze in some extra molecules of air before the valve shuts. If you have a constant length, this effect can only be used at a certain RPM, usually where you have power max in a race engine, but with variable lengths, it can be used for a wider RPM-band.

Back