• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

You know the broken drive shaft bolt thread? I can one up that...

How many people would run without the drive shaft bolt?

• Total voters
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Yamaha Nytro XTX
2010 Yamaha Apex LTX-GT
So....long story short I did a 1.75 track swap with extros etc to update my 09 XTX to 13' spec. Looks like I didn't put enough Loctite on my new drive shaft bolt because I just found this beauty. I read about people not even putting that bolt in and I guess I should have listened. When I was doing the swap I had the broken bolt and did 5k miles with no issues. The bolt that drilled its way through the cover was just sitting in the fairing below. I have no idea how long I rode with it like that. Time for a new housing $154.00 later :(

Attachments

• 20140621_121909.jpg
    20140621_121909.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 232

Been down that road. I put a rubber plug in it and put silicone around it

Sent from my SCH-R530X using Tapatalk

So you never ran into any issues without the bolt? How many miles would you guess. If I remember correctly the only thing that bolt does is hold the collar/sleeve on the shaft and keep it from touch the housing/cover

Not with the rubber plug and silicone on it.

Sent from my SCH-R530X using Tapatalk

Great mid-season fix! Seeing how I still have 6 months till I can ride I think I'm going to get the new housing/cover but good to know that it worked for you. Thanks for the responses

been there, took apart and inspected everything, found the c-clip that is suppose to stop the bolt from coming out if it does loosen. From what I see the bolt holds the spring,bottom gear in place during chaincase assembly. If it falls out during operation you do loose oil but nothing else happened, maybe I just got lucky. Drilled threads to hold a plastic pipe plug. No I have an inspection hole. haha

Attachments

• 01DBB2EA-6F5A-42E3-9305-918FF7E8188F.jpeg
    01DBB2EA-6F5A-42E3-9305-918FF7E8188F.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 7BB473B0-E842-4A29-8BBD-A20B2FC0ABF7.jpeg
    7BB473B0-E842-4A29-8BBD-A20B2FC0ABF7.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 72470A3E-9078-4A88-B2E7-D2C11FCBD9CB.jpeg
    72470A3E-9078-4A88-B2E7-D2C11FCBD9CB.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 1CC604C4-EB79-46F0-B213-C287FE0CA3BB.jpeg
    1CC604C4-EB79-46F0-B213-C287FE0CA3BB.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 67
been there, took apart and inspected everything, found the c-clip that is suppose to stop the bolt from coming out if it does loosen. From what I see the bolt holds the spring,bottom gear in place during chaincase assembly. If it falls out during operation you do loose oil but nothing else happened, maybe I just got lucky. Drilled threads to hold a plastic pipe plug. No I have an inspection hole. haha
That bolt is what keeps the driveshaft where it's supposed to be. If for example the set screws were not tight on the left side driveshaft bearing, then the drive shaft could move to the left.

That bolt is what keeps the driveshaft where it's supposed to be. If for example the set screws were not tight on the left side driveshaft bearing, then the drive shaft could move to the left.
Thank you, I wondered about this and I did remove my speedometer sendor/pickup gear and inspect that bearing. I grease it every year and it hadn’t moved during this episode. the set screws were tight And shaft didn’t move. But something had to have forced the screw to back out. I keep checking through my “new inspection hole” 2,000 miles now and hasn’t loosened yet. Sled does have 21,000 miles. 2012 venture GT

If I remember correctly yours has the longer drive shaft and end adaptor to match.
I would just conclude that the last time this was apart, the bolt may have been put back in without loctite.
Factory spec does call for this bolt to have loctite.
In addition, use brake clean and compressed air to clean the threads, bolt and in end of shaft as oil residues negate the locking effect of loctite.

Last edited:
Mine did the exact same thing. Wound up JB Welding the hole and putting orange Loctite on the bolt along with a new C-clip. Stronger than blue but not as strong as red.

Back