• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Zinging noise from chaincase?

kimoajaj

Expert
Hi guys!

I`m wondering about the characterstics of the common chaincase zinging noise, when riding with a too tight chain.

When I let go off the throttle I can hear some zinging but it is completely gone when I keep the throttle steady or when I accelerate.
Even when going fast I cannot hear the zinging noise.

I backed the tensioner out 1/2 turn after screwing it in fingertight.
I know 1/4 by the book but since I had (or atleast thought) I had the zinging noise I wanted to loosen it abit.

But, I do remember hearing a similiar sound on my old (previous) RX1 and the RX Warrior, so I figure it is all normal?

Cant remember if the sound was there when the sled was new, although it only has 600kms on the clocks but I have replaced all parts due to a collision with a rock (cracked the chaincase).

I`m starting to think that the sound I`m hearing could be coming from the clutches or something? Brake disc maybe.. .

hmm

Yeah i hear that too when i let off the gas at lower speeds......i figure its just the brake system kicking in cause if i give it a lil gas it goes away.

too loose.

I have the noise on mine and I HATE IT!
sounds like the typical polaris chaincase whine.
its actually the chain being LOOSE. hence when u let off the throttle, the slack makes the whine.
i tightened my adjuster up a bit and the noise is half as loud as it used to be. i figure you really need to jack the track up, loosen locknut, tighten bolt finger tight, spin track a bit, let off, spin, let off, then tighten adjuster again. i also do no back it off the 1/4 turn yami recomends. my srx didnt have chaincase whine and i"ll be damned if my xtx will!
sled is home, and is going to get run on a stand and chain tightened some more.

I'm gonna try that method groomer08! Mine sounds like track is ratcheting but its within tolerances.... And when I let go of the gas it does that sound but doesn't whine at high speeds.

Hi guys!

Thanks for the replies!! :)

But, I am confused!

Some sais it whines when its too tight, some say it whines when its too loose and it can also be cause by the disc brake?

However I think that since many people have the sound which might be caused by either a too tight chain or too loose, and as far as I know there are no known chain-breakdowns, so.. I guess we`re all good?

I talked to a friend today (dimebag) he told me that when his friend (nmt_08) put on a smaller upper sprocket he got a whining sound, had the dealer check everything but the sound was still there.

I guess I am making an issue of something that isnt an issue, but I want things to be 100%.
:)

mine makes that sound when the chain is tight. I got some advise from this site......back of the plastic pinch washer and it lets you adjust tension to spec by hand. My tensioner bolt was bound up a bit and i was over tightening with a wrench.

Hi there gormley, yes I always back off the plastic seal before adjusting the tension.
I`m in doubt wether I should try to loosen the chain more ? Should I go 1/4 decreasements?

Hmm

i think so.....i rode my sled a few seasons, changed the gearing and did typical service. Never a sound, replacing the driver shaft bolt etc....Then all of a sudden i get this crazy noise at the end of last season and at the start of this years season.....weird.

Anyway, backed the tensioner of a little every ride and noise is gone.

I alway sthought i had a good touch for these type of things........GUESS NOT.

so........yah, i say 1/4 turn at a time....maybe 1/2 to start if its really loud.

go Thor go (world cycling champion)

Back