• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro Subframe Removal Procedure

grizztracks

Tech Advisor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
FX Nytro RTX, RS Vector, SR Viper RTX SE
Here is the basic procedure for subframe removal.

Remove the hood, upper and lower side panels and unbolt front bumper to remove nose plastic. Jack the front end up under the subframe (I like to use a block of wood between the jack and frame) and support sled with two jack stands just behind the lower subframe mounts.
frame1.jpg

frame2.jpg

Disconnect the battery leads. Unbolt the CPU/Regulator and remove from frame.
frame3.jpg

Remove front headlight support fasteners from subframe.
frame4.jpg

Disconnect the steering link and remove the lower steering post block. Use a pickle fork to remove link from steering post arm or pry down on linkage and hit arm at red X to pop the joint out. Remove air box bolts.
frame5.jpg

Support the subframe with a floor jack then remove the 6 subframe bolts on each side of frame.
frame6.jpg

Slide the frame forward enough to remove tie straps holding the wires and coolant overflow hose to the frame. Disconnect coolant hose from overflow bottle. Remove relay bracket assembly from the subframe. The steering post will need to be pried up to clear the mounting block.
frame7.jpg

Slowly pull front clip out making sure all wires and hoses are free.
frame8.jpg

Move the front clip out and continue to disassemble as needed.
frame9.jpg

frame10.jpg

Last edited:

Grizz,
Thanks for the excellent write-up. :Rockon:

Now that I know how to remove it I will be getting mine pulled off soon and sent to you to be fixed.
When you fix them do you paint them? I am going to have you only prime it in the grind/weld areas because I am going to have it powder coated when I get it back.
One last question, in one of you posts or repliles you mentioned something about a belly pan with extra protection and removing some ribs from something to keep them from taking out the oil filter if that something takes a direct hit. Can you send me a PM with that info or just post it here if you would like.
Thanks again,
Mills

The Mountaintech Industries skid plate is a good option on the Nytro. Saved me from some severe damage a few times: Skid Plate

Pry up evenly with two small flat screwdrivers placed on each side of the fastener head. In time these fasteners will become more brittle and eventually brake or fall out. I replace them with dart fasteners instead of the pushpin type.

Okay so I got it out this weekend no problem. I have removed all the suspension components not im trying to remove the plastic attached to the subframe. How do I remove the buttons that hold the steering boots to the plastic / frame? Thanks

There is a single rivet that holds the steering rod boot to the subframe. Just stretch the rubber boot enough to pull it over the rivet head then slide the plastic with the boot down the tie rod and and pull the heim joint through the boot. When removing the steering rod from the spindles there are two small washers that shim the heim joint. Be careful not to lose them.

subframe removal

grizz----how is the vector different, or that a major problem
tombob

I was just wondering why you were taking front subframe
Apart? Are they prone to cracking or something.
Or are you just upgrading the 08 front suspension?
I'm looking to buy one in next couple years.
If prone to cracking is that something I can see when
Looking at a sled?
Thank you.

They tend to bend. If shocks are not centered in the a arms likely one side is bent a little.

Might want to find a new profile pic too. That's my sled and my profile pic. Lol.

poor farmer/logger said:
They tend to bend. If shocks are not centered in the a arms likely one side is bent a little.

Might want to find a new profile pic too. That's my sled and my profile pic. Lol.

Busted :moon:

poor farmer/logger said:

Looks like it may be a spammer... I deactivated and removed that image. :Rockon:

Thanks MrSled. At first I thought it was one of my old posts but I couldn't remember posting that. Then I saw the date and the username.

Back