• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2013 / 14 Newberry Area Trail Report

Stu

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2005 RS Rage
12/17/2013

The trails across private property were opened on Monday (12/16/2013) and there is actually enough snow to make it worthwhile. This is the earliest the area has been froze up solid and had decent snow in recent history. There have been a few sleds already through the area and I saw the trails up to the Falls were freshly groomed this morning. There is roughly 10 inches (25 cm) around town and 3 feet (90 cm) or more around Pine Stump and beyond. Its been so cold so far this winter that there isn't a lot of base packed in, mostly powder still. Time will tell, but it looks like it could be a good season.

12/26/2013

Hope everyone's Christmas went well! As for me, I spent the better part of Christmas day outside shoveling off the roof and then the back deck of my house as we got anywhere from 8" (20 cm) to a +1' (+30c cm) overnight. We still have very little base as temps have been around 15 F (-9 C) for daytime highs and 1 F (-17 C) for nighttime lows. This is cold for this area, especially in December (this is more like Late Jan/Early Feb temps...I'm not sure I want to see what it will be like then...)

01/02/2014

Happy New Year! We made it through another one...dang its been cold. We have had only one day in the past month above 20F (-7C) and it doesn't look like we have any "warm" days coming anytime soon...they are talking the coldest temps of the season so far for this coming Monday (Highs at or below 0F (-18C) and lows in the negative teens (-25C). If its like this now with the Great Lakes still not completely froze over...what's it going to be like in February? Most years, Lake Superior doesn't completely freeze over...but I susupect it will this year.... :brrr:
We have gained a small amount of snow but the TASA lost one groomer that broke through the swamp and required a JD 650 and JD 750 dozer to get out. It's going to be in the shop a bit longer, but they making due with the two they have. Have had a few sleds through the area but no big influx as of yet.

01/07/2014

More snow over the weekend, bringing us up to a good +24" (+60cm) or more everywhere. The problem (or perk?) is: it's still all just powder, no solid base underneath as we haven't had any "warm" temperatures lately to firm it up. I suppose we've been due as we've been cursed (blessed?) with mild winters for at least the last five years.

01/13/2014

A little more snow over the weekend but the big news is things have warmed up to around the freezing mark around here. This has allowed the powder to finally settle down and form some base. We are supposed to cool back off again but at least now there is a bottom.

01/27/2014

Lots of snow, lots of cold, not a whole lot of sleds. That pretty much sums up the last couple of weeks. The little woman and I took a trip up to the Falls from Newberry the weekend of the 18th and the trails were just as smooth as glass. The only kicker has been its been so damn cold as to not be pleasant to ride in...but there is a solid +2 feet (+60 cm) of snow anywhere you look. Also BE WARNED: Trail 45 is plowed for logging truck traffic from Skyline northward for a couple miles so the trail could be a bit sketchy through there depending on when it was last plowed/last logging truck came through.

02/04/2014

Rinse and repeat. Not much has changed: still lots of snow, though it has gotten a little warmer (highs near 15F; -9C) and there have been a few more sleds out on the trails. We have already hit our average snowfall for the entire winter, so everything from here on out is bonus...

02/24/2014

Sorry I haven't reported on conditions in a while, but there hasn't been much to report. We had a bit of a warm up last week where we got up to near/above freezing for a little while but we're now back down in the ice chest: highs of 10F (-12C) or less. At this point I have no doubt we'll have rideable snow well into April this year.

03/12/2014

Things have been pretty much the same for quite some time...until now. We have finally started to warm up. Unfortunately, it bypassed the 20s (-7C) and went straight to 30s (0C). Then today and tomorrow we are right back in the deep freeze (around 0F; -18C) and finally back to around 20s (-7C). This will no doubt make the snow like concrete. There still plenty of snow though. There is still a good 2 feet (60 cm) pretty much everywhere. Should be plenty of good riding for some time to come based on the weather for the next ten days (highs in the 20s; -7C, lows near 0F; -18C).

3/24/2014

Trails are still good, still lots of snow, still unseasonably cold (though now seasonal temps should be at or above freezing and we aren't uncomfortably far below that...). Grooming will continue until March 31: that's when the state no longer will fund grooming for they year (though they did extend into April one year so cross your fingers...). :sled1:

4/1/2014

You may have trouble believing any of this post (based on the date) but I will try to give a truthful report, no tricks. I just checked TASA (Tahquamenon Area Snowmobile Association) website and the DNR did not extend funding past today so they will not be grooming the trails any longer this year. They will be leaving the gates across private "...open until conditions warrant closing the gates..." I will continue to post reports until the snow is no longer ride able. As of now, there is still plenty of snow to be seen and with temperatures getting down below freezing each night, the snow will hopefully be slow to leave (for not just for snowmobiling but for flooding as well).

4/10/2014

The recent warm temps and liquid precip :o| has severely diminished our snow pack. There is still a fair amount of snow to be found, but it is now more like ice than anything. I suspect they will be closing the gates on the trails across private property here shortly. Can't complain though, its been a pretty good winter.

4/22/2014

Sorry for taking so long to put this last report in, we're in the height of calving season and they are coming at a rate of 5-7 a day. The gates across private property closed were closed early last week, which is just as well because the snow pack is all but non-existant. There is snow left on the ground but it's mostly just hard, icy and patchy at best. See you all next year!

Once again, thank you for posting your area conditions! ;)!

Back