• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

YAMAHEATER Nice Warm Hands for 03 - Current Yamaha 4 Strokes

A few people have asked how would they know if they need a Booster or not.

The Best test is a running test.

Start the sled & put your grips on YamaHeater High(RED LED - Zero Bars).
Let the sled run for ~5 min.

The grips should get to about 125 degrees F or so (Many times even more).
They should feel almost uncomfortable to hold with bare hands. (Too hot)

If they just feel lukewarm, you need the booster.

Hope this helps!

Rock :-o

YamaHeater Booster Install Instructions

Remove appropriate body panels & locate the following connectors:

2 output connectors from your YamaHeater (Orange & Black wires)
Brake connector (Blue/Red & Green wires)

Your YamaHeater Booster installs BETWEEN your existing YamaHeater & your grips.

1) Unplug the grips from your YamaHeater. (Grips have 2 small Black wires)
2) Plug both grips into output connectors with Orange & Black wires from Booster.
3) Plug input connector from Booster (Yellow & Black wires) into one of the output connectors from your YamaHeater (Orange & black wires).
4) Unplug brake connector with Blue/Red & Green wires & plug power connector from Booster with Blue & Green wires into open connectors from brake. (This connects power)
5) Install Black Ground wire with ring terminal under appropriate bolt for ground.
6) If you did not do so prior, change SIG fuse in sled fuse box (Small Black box on right side of sled near reverse mechanism), to blue 15A fuse provided.

Test for grips warming with sled running and in YamaHeater High Heat setting (RED LED, Zero Bars on display).
Allow sled to idle for a few minutes & verify grips are getting nice and WARM! :drink:
(Your grips should get SERIOUSLY WARM!) ;)!

As noted prior, the YamaHeater Booster will make ALL your heat settings warmer, including the YamaHeater High Heat setting (RED LED).

Mounting:
As it is a power conversion device, your Booster will get warm in operation, keep in mind to allow air flow around Booster.

The Booster Case is a shielded metal case that Cannot touch anything metal on your sled.
Make sure when you install the Booster, the case is isolated from any metal, including ground.

Let us know how it goes!

PS As always, can Call or PM/email me with your phone number & I will call you right back.

To me, this is REALLY COOL!!!

Designed & built alot of electrical smarts right into the Booster.

It has thermal protection, if it is overloaded, the output reduces accordingly until the overload goes away. (Is fully automatic & your grips still work all the time.)
(This includes a shorted output, that way your Booster can't be damaged by an un-intended short in the wiring, failed grip etc.)

The output is also current limited, this means it makes it hard to go outside the safe operating margin envelope of your stator, which helps protect your stator from being overloaded.
(Fully automatic & Goof-proof)
(Even if you change the bars/grips and they are very low resistance which would normally put your stator at serious risk of failure.)

Your Booster will automatically shut-down in a low voltage situation so as not to overload your sled.
(Your grips will still work, at reduced power.)
This is mainly a concern at idle.

This is some major electrical smarts & great protection for our sleds!

Darn, I can make em warmer sooner. Improving on a already great product. I still can not believe more guys here in AK have not bought the product. Keep complaining about cold hands, but won't spring for something that will fix it in less than an hour. It's not they like they are still buying 2 Smoke oil.

loyjohnson said:
rock on my 08 rtx i have the hard wire unit. i just ordered your booster where do i hook the power?
thanks jason

Hi Jason!
Your Booster gets it's power from plugging into the harness.
Super easy. : )

sj said:
Daranello said:
09 XTX need the boost or not?? Haven't installed my YamaHeater yet and I'm wondering whats everyones results

varies from machine to machine...some are okay...others suck....rock says the grip resistance varies widely from one to another and this is a big factor on warm or cold grips..

SJ is quite correct.

The grip resistance has the most effect, yet there are other effects at work here also.

There are overall patterns, but no real absolutes that we have seen yet.

Have seen some '06 & '07 Apexes with really cold bars, but seem to be rare.
08 Apexes seem to be more prevalent with cold bars. (WAG of ~20%)
09 & 10 Apexes seem to be mostly cold, but not all.
Most of the new style Nytros seem to be cold, but not all.
(Keep in mind, my viewpoint may be a bit skewed as I usually only hear about the really cold ones.)

Have not seen a RS/RX, Phazer, Venture, or Vector yet that doesn't respond quite well to the regular YamaHeater, even if they started out really cold.
(Doesn't mean there may not be some, just means none been brought to my attention so far.)

That's why I posted in the Nytro & Apex section so you guys could get it taken care of and have Warm Hands!
(Haven't heard much of anything from the Apex guys, if that says anything.)

Am working on making the kits self-adjust to the bars themselves so that one kit will work on ANY sled, no matter what.
(At the same time, am working to keep the warmth cost effective for us, and still protect the stator in our sleds.)

I can actually make any of the bars Super Hot,
However...
That puts your stator at serious risk of failure.

We want enough warmth that you can ride comfortably at -20*F or so and not risk frostbite, while at the same time not needlessly risking damage to your sled.

The best test I know of right now is the running test described here:
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?p=735052#735052

As I know more will pass it on!

Hope this helps! Rock :-o

Rock your right about the '08 APEX mine are OK but could be warmer on colder days, I'd say their 50% warmer than stock, at least they get hotter at start up/idle so your hands actually keep their warmth...

apltx08 said:
Rock your right about the '08 APEX mine are OK but could be warmer on colder days, I'd say their 50% warmer than stock, at least they get hotter at start up/idle so your hands actually keep their warmth...

Could you ride yours at say -10*F or so without risking frostbite?
Maybe a bit cold but not bad.
(I believe that to be a realistic expectation from our grips.)

If I'm understanding you right, on the trails after breaks etc, they are great.
When you get into the more wide open areas at higher speeds, they may not be enough?

(Mind if I get your thoughs/feelings on them?)

Rockmeister said:

When you get into the more wide open areas at higher speeds, they may not be enough?

Yep in open area and higher speeds they're BORDER line on COLDER days, I mean they're better than stock but I could use a bit more heat a higher speeds...I find grips to SMALL of diameter and the TIPS of my fingers get real cold, I can't get my fingers to make contact to grips, the hooks keep my palms fairly toasty...also the thumb warmer isn't that warm either, its always on HIGH.

Rock how backed up are You on shipping the Boosters? I'm headed up this weekend and wondering if i will get it before Friday? I ordered it when I got of the phone Monday night after talking to You. Todd

Snow flake said:
Rock how backed up are You on shipping the Boosters? I'm headed up this weekend and wondering if i will get it before Friday? I ordered it when I got of the phone Monday night after talking to You. Todd

Ummmmm...

Todd, Todd, Todd....

Check your email dude...

Was shipped out to you Tues as promised.
It is now in Oak Creek Wisconsin.

Check your emails and/or spam folder, you should have a tracking number for it.

apltx08 said:
Rockmeister said:

Yep in open area and higher speeds they're BORDER line on COLDER days, I mean they're better than stock but I could use a bit more heat a higher speeds...I find grips to SMALL of diameter and the TIPS of my fingers get real cold, I can't get my fingers to make contact to grips, the hooks keep my palms fairly toasty...also the thumb warmer isn't that warm either, its always on HIGH.

Can't do much for the finger tips, if they don't contact the bars.
I turn my tips inward when it gets that cold. lol

Am working on something for the Thumbwarmer.
Most haven't needed it, so wasn't high priority.

swelly said:
Darn, I can make em warmer sooner. Improving on a already great product. I still can not believe more guys here in AK have not bought the product. Keep complaining about cold hands, but won't spring for something that will fix it in less than an hour. It's not they like they are still buying 2 Smoke oil.

Hey Swelly!

Believe some people just like to complain... Who knows... lol
The ones that amaze me are the ones that spend serious money on various gloves, etc to try to fix it.

Definitely have sold more to guys in Alaska since yours! ;)!
You must be getting the word out, or something. :drink:

Thanks for the compliment. LaLaLa
Very glad you like!

PS Isn't your Over The Top ride coming up soon?

Back