• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

8JP-17641-00 New Viper Belt

cannondale27

Staff member
Vendor
Okay we have them. It is way shorter than the Phazer belts and the 8DN. This means the Center to Center Must either be less on the Viper or the clutches are different dia. Which is it? What do you all think? Makes me very nervous I will admit. I will get measurements tonight but it is very obvious length is alot shorter.

Why does this make you nervous, Cannondale? Are you thinking the clutches are a new design (thus the shorter belt) or is it the center-to-center distance that concerns you? If the latter, why?

cannondale27 said:
Okay we have them. It is way shorter than the Phazer belts and the 8DN. This means the Center to Center Must either be less on the Viper or the clutches are different dia. Which is it? What do you all think? Makes me very nervous I will admit. I will get measurements tonight but it is very obvious length is alot shorter.
You really need to have a beer and relax. Your gonna have a flippin stroke before you ever get to ride the dang thing! ;)!

cannondale27 said:

When I looked the prototype over closely it appeared that the Nytro engine was set down in and back, using a shorter belt because clutches seemed close. As I did not actually measure it though that is a guess.

It makes me nervous because the shorter the belt the more it has to bend. That will create more heat/stress there is no way around that fact. The Center to Center of Yamahas. All of them. Has been the same since the 90's. It works and is proven. That means all the belts are very close in length for all those years. Just very small differences. Why change what works well? I do trust Yamaha but not 100%. No measurement yet but here is a pic. Viper on bottom.

Attachments

• DSC00447.JPG
    DSC00447.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 655
You can see the clutches are closer so the belt will be shorter what would bother me is them telling you what a great deal the belt is only $100 not bad only went up $35-40.

cannondale27 said:
It makes me nervous because the shorter the belt the more it has to bend. That will create more heat/stress there is no way around that fact. The Center to Center of Yamahas. All of them. Has been the same since the 90's. It works and is proven. That means all the belts are very close in length for all those years. Just very small differences. Why change what works well? I do trust Yamaha but not 100%. No measurement yet but here is a pic. Viper on bottom.
If you want they could mount the motor even higher in the chassis, and you could get your 90's belt. Yamaha did not pick the center to center. The world has changed. Relax, it's going to be fine!

We will see. Would like some of the clutch tuning guys opinions on this though. If it is fine tell me why? I can tell you that it is a proven fact the past belt length and c/c of Yamahas worked. Maybe need to try getting ahold of Aaen.

Its Gonna Be Fine Because Its Still Yamaha Clutches And Only a 135-Ish Horsepower Sled

Judging By Your Picture, The Belt Is Only A Little Shorter....Not Half The Length.

Don't Assume The Worst! Put A Little Venting On The Side Panel And That'll Cure Any Heat Issues Caused By The Slightly Shorter Center To Center.

Why would the shorter center to center cause more heat ?....if the clutches are set up right they both should be the same temp.
So the center to center and shorter belt has nothing to do with the heat in the clutches it would be belt slipping so then you would have to adjust the clutches

It creates more heat because a shorter belt has to bend more. Doesnt seem like much but at 8000 rpm a little more bending can be alot of heat. But what do I know.

Ok, I have decided to chime in. Shorter belt does not bend more than a long belt. The amount of bend is determined by the diameter of the clutches. The belt could be three feet longer and the amount of bending will still be the same. The bending is done by the size of the radius. Smaller radius more bend, larger radius less bend.

Back