• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper update

Studroes144

TY 4 Stroke God
Just did some field testing with my viper ltx se and an xf7000. Did multiple runs. Both sleds completely stock with no studs. We were rolling at about 10mph starts. I weigh 225lbs the other rider weighs prolly 40-50lbs lighter than me. The field was very hard pack so speeds were fast. On a take off with me on my viper i would come out every time ahead of the cat and stay right there and if anything would pull away some. When we switched I could get a good start on the cat but the viper would come back and pup 2-3 sled lengths on the cat. Rpm on the cat r running too high. On the viper they r close but started to run a little high towards the end. I will be studding the sled early next week and working on a clutch setup so will post more info then. Top speed of the day for the viper was 100 on the dot in 800-1000 feet with the lighter rider. That's with rpm off a bit and no studs so there's still some track spin. Great sled I am very pleased!

Also we check belt and clutch temps after a bunch of runs. I don't remember exact numbers but the belt, primary and secondary on the viper were running all about 20 degrees cooler than the cat. Also had an xf9000 there with exhaust and ecu flash runnin 260hp. Belt and clutch temps on that were about 80-90 degrees warmer than the viper. So for you cat 7000 guys I thinks it's safe to say that you won't be having the belt issue of the other cat sleds. Just goes to show the quality of the yamaha clutches and even more so now that cat and yamaha have an identical sled and the testing we did was at the same exact time with exact conditions. Both great sleds otherwise!

thatsa nice :Rockon:

good to know were getting cooler #'s

I am putting turbo on monday and adding overdrive can't wait to test it

Had to look back at my video for temp numbers here they are:
Viper:171 belt
104 secondary
118 primary
Xf7000: 193 belt
123 secondary
120 primary

We did 6 back to back wide open runs and came back and pulled covers off right away to test. The 260hp turbo had a belt temp of right around 240 if I remember right.

Great, thanks for the update!!! Keep it coming we are waiting for the white stuff down here! :Rockon:

Any other info people are looking for as far as performance on the viper just ask. If our snow stays through the weekend then early next week we are gonna start doing testing on clutching and hopefully can be experimenting with intake exhaust and pcv.

Sure would like to see some of that video on YouTube! Maybe a couple runs with the XF7000.

Studroes144 said:
Had to look back at my video for temp numbers here they are:
Viper:171 belt
104 secondary
118 primary
Xf7000: 193 belt
123 secondary
120 primary

We did 6 back to back wide open runs and came back and pulled covers off right away to test. The 260hp turbo had a belt temp of right around 240 if I remember right.
Your belt temps seem kinda high compared to the sheeve temps,whenever my belt temps were that high my primary sheeve was lower by about 30 degrees,did you check the belt at the outter most part of the belt,where they generally come apart,as I found last year on my boosted turbo that area would be much hotter than the lower part of the edge where it tapers down,also my primary was always hotter by at least 30* too,glad you guys got to do some running,what kind of gun do you have?

I have one video of the viper and xf running however I do not have a YouTube account. I tried uploading it here but was not able to do that either. Could not convince my dad to come with his apex. The video is just taken with a cell phone in one hand and wide open throttle in the other so quality isn't that great lol there was only 2 of us there so nobody to video or hold a radar gun. Will have more people around next week when we start with the clutching and will have a stalker radar set up as well as a stock viper running against the clutched viper just to better compare what is working best. Is it possible to upload videos here and if so how?

Back