• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper track studding

Studroes144

TY 4 Stroke God
Just finished drilling my track for studs. I've always liked the V pattern and every other outside lug in an alternating pattern. 48 lugs on the 137" track. I do 3 holes per row and then on every 4th row I put 1 stud right in the center of the track if that makes sense. I use 1 stud in the center and then on the next lug put 2 studs slightly apart until it forms the V. That lug that has the stud right in the center is the same lug that has the two studs at the widest point(not the outside lugs, still on the inside bar). Not sure if anyone else has ever used this or plans on using it but it has worked great for me in the past. It makes for a complete footprint on the ground with all the studs. Total number of studs used is 156. Will be using 1.5" studboy power points with tower nuts and square backers. Will post pics tomorrow night when it's complete

Studroes144 said:
Just finished drilling my track for studs. I've always liked the V pattern and every other outside lug in an alternating pattern. 48 lugs on the 137" track. I do 3 holes per row and then on every 4th row I put 1 stud right in the center of the track if that makes sense. I use 1 stud in the center and then on the next lug put 2 studs slightly apart until it forms the V. That lug that has the stud right in the center is the same lug that has the two studs at the widest point(not the outside lugs, still on the inside bar). Not sure if anyone else has ever used this or plans on using it but it has worked great for me in the past. It makes for a complete footprint on the ground with all the studs. Total number of studs used is 156. Will be using 1.5" studboy power points with tower nuts and square backers. Will post pics tomorrow night when it's complete

Can you share a pic?

I plan on running a double backer pattern.

Two double backers in one row. One double backer in the next row.
Six studs per two rows. Total of 150 studs for the 137 track.

I plan on doing a 4-2 pattern, 2 doubles on one flat, 2 singles on the next alternating back and forth, just going to go by eye without a template

studs

skidooslayer687 said:
I plan on doing a 4-2 pattern, 2 doubles on one flat, 2 singles on the next alternating back and forth, just going to go by eye without a template
I plan on doing the same. I have some double backers but not sure how many to do my ltx 137 inch. Does anybody know how many double and singles I will need?

Here is my track all studded. 156 studboys 1.5". Just started testing on the clutching will hopefully have some good results by the end of the day. The clutching on the stock sled is almost spot on anyways so stock they run good. Raced the xf7000 again after they changed a spring and helix and viper in stock form is still faster. 7000 was over revving a bit yet on top end but the viper was running about 200 rpm to high on top end as well. Will post more results later today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 1,152
Re: studs

bleedyamaha said:
skidooslayer687 said:
I plan on doing the same. I have some double backers but not sure how many to do my ltx 137 inch. Does anybody know how many double and singles I will need?

48 Singles, 48 Doubles, 144 studs.... Literally just got in from doing mine lol. Now shes ready!

Anyone that is studding their track should install the 4th wheel kit right away. It should be done anyways but especially with studs as it really helps the studs penetrate well. Without the 4th wheel kit my sled spun quite a lot yesterday in the testing that was done and that is with 156 studs. With the 4th wheel kit today it hooks up very well. If you don't do the 4th wheel kit and the sled spins hard before it hooks you'll eventually have a lot of trouble with studs bending, breaking or ripping out.

studroe

Studroe I see you went every other outside row with studs. I was planning on 144 down the middle. Wouldnt the tri hub handle those studs ok? Also should I stretch my track before drilling holes in it?

144 up the middle will def be fine and be a big improvement. The trihub will work fine for that. I do the outside ones just cuz it really helps a lot with hooking up. I was planning on putting a few hundred miles on before I studded it but D&D needed it studded so that they could hook me up with a good clutching setup.

studs

Ok thanks. Thats what I wanted to here. It sucks to wait to ride to stretch my track when I have time to start studding now. I just want to do it right.

Re: studs

bleedyamaha said:
Ok thanks. Thats what I wanted to here. It sucks to wait to ride to stretch my track when I have time to start studding now. I just want to do it right.

I had 4500 miles on my apex with original track and 192 studs. Never had 1 pull through. But I didn't stud it until it had 1000 miles either. Def would be over kill to wait that long but ya never had any track issues. Had 1 wheel on the rear axle wear out but wasn't anything to do with studs just cheap stock wheels.

Looking for any input on whether to go with the doubles or singles, in either case it will be 144 up the middle.

Attachments

• stud pattern.JPG
    stud pattern.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 4,352

Back