• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Brake locked up on trail

YukonWolf

Veteran
Yesterday I was cruising along a straight flat section of trail doing approx 20km when my brake randomly engaged and brought me to a halt. After moving my sled around to make sure the track wasn't stuck, checking the drive belt, looking for damage etc.... The only think I see is that the brake pads/caliper is engaged. The brake lever is stiff and will not release.

Anyone have experience with this? Or know what might have caused it? My working theory at the moment is that some water possibly got in the brake line and froze? Not sure how that happened though cause everything seems well sealed.

To make matters worse though the caliper in these is not easy to get at. I got one bolt out but couldn't find the other one and wasn't able to get the battery housing out of the way to get a better look with the tools I had on me.

:o|

Definitely not a common problem. Is it possible that the parking brake was left on? That happens on a regular basis. How's the chaincase oil? Hopefully it wasn't run dry. Other than that, to confirm that the brake rotor is really clamped by the caliper, try to turn the rotor itself by hand (also try turning the secondary clutch). It should turn a little bit freely back and forth. If it does, then the lockup is somewhere else. If it's locked tight, then try to remove the smaller parking brake caliper to see if it's at fault. That one should be fairly easy to get at. If it's still locked up, then the main caliper is probably seized and will require some muscle to get it off after removing the second bolt. This definitely sounds like a more involved repair than what can be done trail side.

Thanks for the reply

Definitely not the parking brake...but I don't doubt that people do that all the time. I did try turning the rotor by hand and it wasn't budging. Everything looks okay other than the brake lever being tight like there is somehow pressure in the brake line. Luckily it is less than a 30 minute ride from my place so I'm going back out tomorrow with a mechanic friend. I'll double check the secondary clutch to make sure and purge the brake line to see if I can relieve the pressure on the caliper and at least get it back home.....couple hills that might be a whole lot more interesting without brakes.

Open the blead valve on the brake and see if that helps. Then you can run home slowely and use the parking brake as emegency brake.

Definitely try to crack open the bleeder valve and if it's the caliper pistons that are seized, maybe using a c-clamp might be able to push them in enough to release and get it going.

If something is really pooched like the caliper or the master cylinder, I have spares of each if you need them and can ship to you.

Update: Bad news for me!

I went back out there and cracked the bleeder valve and gave a little squeeze on the brake which relieved the pressure. I can't really get the caliper off to push the brake piston all the way back in but the brake is no longer my problem. Sled still will not move.

Took another look at the belt and now when I rev the engine there is a burning smell and a bit of what seems to be engine oil dripping out the very bottom of the sled. This was not happening when I first broke down, which led me to believe it was just the brake.

First thought it was a bearing seized up but they usually make noise when they go and there was no unusual noise when this happened or even now. Could it be some type of electrical problem? I don't know much about that and I must admit that was my real hesitation to buying a 4 stroke in the first place but I was assured they are more reliable with less maintenance cost. Transmission issue?

My biggest concern now is really just the rescue mission since the track won't move it will need to be put on something to be skidded out. Looking for a large skimmer to borrow that I can put under the track. Anyone have experience in a difficult rescue like this with some tips? :o|

Sorry for the long post!
:o|

Do it mountain sled style. Put the skis on backwards and put the back of the sled up on another sled and strap it down. Have done this to a cat and my brothers sx500r. Got them out to the road.

http://s242.photobucket.com/user/maim19 ... ort=3&o=95

Attached pic is bro's sled in muni. Broke a drive axle with all that hp.

X2 on the crazy carpet. I've seen the other method. It's not easy and our sleds are not "lite" to be carried that way.

The crazy carpet idea crossed my mind as well. If I can fit it in a skimmer turned the wrong way then that would probably be the least hassle. But I might bring a couple crazy carpets just in case. It is a pretty twisty trail with lots of overgrown willow that might rip the carpet out from underneath.

Thanks for the input

So your engine starts but the track won't move? Have you checked underneath and in the suspension to ensure there is nothing stuck in there?

yeah that's right. Track won't budge at all. Flipped it over and gave it a good look over. It truly is a mystery to me at this point. Why would the brake have locked up when the real problem is elsewhere?

Check your chain and drive axle. They do make a Buddy Tow which is simply a piece of plastic with hooks to attach it to the track and a couple guides to keep the sled straight. They work really well and roll up fairly small.

Attachments

• Buddy Tow 1.jpg
    Buddy Tow 1.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 289
  • Buddy Tow 2.jpg
    Buddy Tow 2.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 290
Whichever way you tow it, just be careful going downhill. Learned that the hard way when I was towing the Mrs' Doo. Then I would just put the parking brake on and just drag it down the hill.

I tow like they do in the mountains - up close and personal. Tie both ski loops to the back corners of the rear bumper as tight as you can (don't toe the skis in). You will be amazed how well the sled tracks up and down hills. Make sure the front bumper of the towed sled doesn't line up close to a taillight or anything else that will damage. It does raise the question, "Why do I always seem to be towing something around?"

Back