• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Engine shuts off randomly

Mooseman

I'm not all knowing. Post your question in forum.
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
'07 Venture MP (gone)
'07 Phazer FX (gone)
'09 Phazer GT (gone)
'10 RS Venture GT (My current ride)
'10 Nytro FX (son's)
Hope someone has had something similar as we are scratching our heads. My son's '07 FX, which is a rebuilt crashed sled, has been randomly shutting off for no apparent reason. No codes, no warning, it just shuts off as if you hit the kill switch but the display stays on. We have replaced the fuel pump and load control relays with the new solid state relay.

The sled has unknown mileage as the odometer doesn't jive with the condition. It had a front end crash where the right A-arms were ripped off and where they mount to the bulkhead were tweaked. Fixed and repaired and looks better than ever. Nothing was done to the engine or electronics except adding a tether, which was removed thinking that was the cause.

When it shuts off does it stay dead for a while or does it sart up immediately? Hopefully it stays off for a while so you can diagnose what's "missing". Just the obvious, make sure the connections are tight on the battery and the grounds
aren't corroded.

does it happen offten? Try swapping the battery out with the VL and see if the problem continues.

When it started doing this a few days ago, I saw it when it stopped and trying to re-start it would start and immediately shut off again but it eventually would keep running fine after. Now it mostly re-starts. Just very strange.

One thing I just thought is it could be something with either the kill switch or key switch where it loses contact momentarily just enough to kill the engine but not enough to turn off the display. I'm talking like a fraction of a second but then wouldn't the display reset itself? I do have spares from the parted out sled so I might swap the key switch first (easiest) and then the kill switch. I can also swap the ECU just in case but will do one at a time to try and pinpoint it. While I'm there, I'll jiggle around the wiring and stuff to try and kill it.

I'll ask my son to look at the display right away after the random shutdowns to see what it does.

Well, since I had to use my spare ECU as a replacement for a dead one in the '09, I did a swap with the one in my MP and his. Mine is an updated version and his is original. Will see what happens.

We couldn't go for a ride today to test as we also had to take apart his skid when we noticed that the lower bolts for the H-arm were gone and also broke off the mounting point on the left rail. Again, luckily we had a spare rail and parts but just finished late this evening.

Well, it's not the ECU as it did it again with my known good ECU so it's something on the sled itself. It did it so quickly that it was able to restart itself with the internal momentum and the display stayed on the whole time. I saw his lights go out for a split second. It did it only once all evening.

I just hate these random, unknown and intermittent problems :o| These are always the hardest to find the cause.

Crankshaft position sensor should throw a code 12. Codes do not always happen but it should.

Im thinking it may be a bad ground somewhere?

I don't think I have a spare cps because I sold the dead engine and likely left it on. Plan is to take off all the plastics and start jiggling and moving stuff. First thing on my list is the speed sensor wiring because it was the first thing that happened before all this started. It got chaffed by the secondary clutch but it would just limit the engine and throw an ERR -1. Also had problems with the gauge wiring and had to replace the whole plug but I soldered and shrink wrapped everything.

I'll keep you updated.

iv been getting the same thing on my stock '07 FX with 7000ish miles

Definitely sounds like a intermittent short. Have you checked the ground block?

This must be contagious. Riding to work today and sled just stalled while idling for no reason. Started up right away and sounded like it was running on one cylinder but cleared itself after about 10 seconds.

Ruggybuggy said:
This must be contagious. Riding to work today and sled just stalled while idling for no reason. Started up right away and sounded like it was running on one cylinder but cleared itself after about 10 seconds.
That was a sign to skip work and go sledding.......... Ruggy did you get your low end bog fixed?

Nope not yet, I wound the green spring tighter and it didn't help. I going to try putting the pink back in and see if it helps.

When my son comes home from school, we'll be rippin' into it again. Since I have an almost whole wiring harness, I'll replace the complete wire for the speed sensor to eliminate that.

Back