• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

More Broken Suspension (center again)

cannondale27

Staff member
Vendor
Man I was all happy my stock welded link has still held together when I found this.This is the shaft which inner Idlers are on and part of Linkage is on.Found it when attempting to turn down the spacers for better Idler wheels.Mounted piece on shaft and was going to turn it down in Lathe.It was terribly wobbling.First thought it was crooked in chuck.Wrong.We all need the 08 parts.I am just a trail rider.This is a rough trail machine and I wont be riding this weekend because of this.Take a look :o|

Attachments

• Center linkage 001.jpg
    Center linkage 001.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 173
  • Center linkage 003.jpg
    Center linkage 003.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 166

As I said, its high time Yamaha had a recall in place for this kind of stuff. I've seen much less significant things recalled.

-Steve

It's not just the link. The whole assembly / design is flawed. I had the same experience. Link got fixed, shaft broke. I got the new parts before mine broke a 4th time.

what are the settings of the suspensions when this link is failing, mine has 1900km no problems only thing i ever changed was loosing the limiter strap right off since new, i'm 240 and ride the sled hard, if it was going to fail it would have done it already, there is ryme and reason why the link is failing, all i can think of is suspension setup, everyone with the link failer should post there suspension setting to find something similar causing it to break and let yamaha know why its failing and maybe they will post a recall, just a thought

I was at Yamaha yesterday and they told me that they won't replace the link untill the stock 07 one fails..

fletch83 said:
what are the settings of the suspensions when this link is failing, mine has 1900km no problems only thing i ever changed was loosing the limiter strap right off since new, i'm 240 and ride the sled hard, if it was going to fail it would have done it already, there is ryme and reason why the link is failing, all i can think of is suspension setup, everyone with the link failer should post there suspension setting to find something similar causing it to break and let yamaha know why its failing and maybe they will post a recall, just a thought

I agree.It is likely this shaft was bent last year when I cracked my link and I missed it.I welded the link and bought new rear shock since original would bottom unless set at high setting.Set on high it kicked like a mule.This year with new shock I am on soft torsion setting and still dont bottom.

At time link cracked I was on med torsion,med center std shocks.

fletch83 said:

My first link broke at around the mileage you are at right now. Rear torsion high, front spring stiff, shocks at mid setting. Limiter strap very tight. My opinion is the design was weak, (just look at the parts) and when the tunnel gets iced up and the suspension is using most of it's travel, it hits the ice booger and puts a ton of strain on the link. Every time mine broke, there was about 40# of ice inside the tunnel. Maybe just a coincidence.

Funny that that is one of the parts I got to replace withe the suspension kit. I think we are starting to understand why it took them so long to redesign the whole front of the rear skid.

Dealer turned it all into Yamaha so keeping my fingers crossed.In the least it will be documented.

i replaced my sliders today and was checking out every piece of the suspension today and no signs of fatigue, everything greased perfectly and the sliders where 3/4 worn after 1900km with manufactures track tension, btw need a new headlight assembly and bumper, had a little accident, anyone know where to get parts cheap its $123 for the headlight and $66 for the bumper here

cannondale27 said:
Dealer turned it all into Yamaha so keeping my fingers crossed.In the least it will be documented.

That's the way to do it Steve! Dealer lets corporate know these things.

Have had good luck with dealer and corporate for most things.Everything is getting reported right down to $2 bushings.That said winter is short not enough time to do all kinds of fixes and testing.This is last time I am taking that rear suspension apart for a fix.From this point on if it breaks will be making some radical changes and wont be looking to Yamaha for anymore help since if it breaks it will be my design breaking.

Someday I need to take a closer look at what is different from my 05 Vector 'twin shock' and the phazer (other than the rear linkage, it seems 'similar'). I have 4 grease fittings on the Vector 'link', and with over 3300 miles of snot beating (now my 16 year old son beats the snot out of it) everything still looks perfect..even the cheesy looking idlers..but she gets greased and checked after every ride. He's keeping up with Apex', Machz', etc, and bottoms it out regularly. Turning out to be a pretty tough suspension. Wonder how the phazer design got so out of wack, considering the 05 Vector was the preliminary design of the pro active or twin shock....

I know a few guys with vectors and last years Nytro it sure looks same.The two I ride with one blew center shock and other bent the same shaft I did.Niether broke the link.Must be some diferences that would have to be measured to find or maybe their adjustable coupling prevents the issues since most have setup to limit forward transfer most of us are also running on med or high torsion setting something must be different?Good question though for sure.

Talked to dealer today and everything got approved from Yamaha.Snow has melted so good time to do some wrenching.Till parts come in I straightened the shaft out.Only 200psi with press!The welded link isnt a issue with Yamaha they understood you gotta do what you gotta do to ride thankfully.So all is well.Hint come by your dealer around noon with a few SubSandwiches for the guys who have to deal with these things it speeds the process along greatly and they deserve a treat!

Back