• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Pulling out the skid, who has done it?

Phazed

Pro
I'm going to be replacing my skid rails when they come in this weekend. I'm looking for any tips/ things I should know before I start. I took a quick look at it today and came to this conclusion:

-Remove the load from the torsion springs
-Unbolt the drive sprocket shaft on clutch side
-Remove the bolts where it connects to the tunnel

What else has to be done to pull the skid? And what is the correct way to unbolt the drive sprocket shaft? Anything else I should check while I'm in there?

unbolt drive shaft why? should be no need the skid should some out like just like a polaris or cat skid. i pull polaris skids for a living and the phazer looks almost identical. try this. leave strings on. take out the 4 bolts then tip the sled on its side. pivot the skid out till its at almost 90 degrees to the running boards. then pull up and out rear wheels first. i havent done mine yet but ive found it works on almost any sled ive worked on even proaction which are the bigest PITA to get in and out.

terret725 said:
unbolt drive shaft why?

I guess thats why I'm asking, I really don't know. I work on cars, not sleds ;)! This is the first time I've ever done extensive work on a sled. So let me get this straight, all I SHOULD have to do is:

-Unbolt the 4 tunnels bolts
-tip the sled on its side
- pull skid out till its 90º to the running boards
-just basically work it out from there

Nothing else has to be unbolted/disconnected?

lossening makes it easyer but atleast on polaris's it isnt nessasary. i never do it just cause were workin on the race sleds and we dont have time to readjust the track every time.

I know when I did it on my old sled, I used a ratchet strap to compress the suspension.. not sure if its needed for newer sleds, but it made it easier for me.

;)! couldn't agree more with phazer137 - I bought a service manual and to date it has been the best aftermarket money I have spent. everything from gear ratios to complete overhaul is there. If you have a bit of mechanical experience the service manual does the rest. :Rockon:

xc_phazer137 said:
Buy a service manual. Dont tip the sled on. Its really easy. 4 bolts boom done.

Don't tip the sled on...what?

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I DO have the service manual. It doesn't give a walk-through/techniques on removing the skid. It just says remove the 4 bolts.

So basically I just take out the 4 bolts, pull the track down, loosen the track tension, compress the suspension with ratchet straps, and it shouldn't take much to get the whole assembly out from there. Doesn't should too hard. Now hopefully all of my parts come in before this weekend.

i have had mine out 3 times in 1200 mi. its easy.

start with losening the rear axle, then losen the four bolts that hold the skid in the tunnel.

tip the sled on its side. and then tip the skid out like everyone else said. if you dont tip the sled you have to man handle all the weight of the skid hanging. also it will fall in the track and the boogies and slides seem to always hook the track where they ride and its fustrating cuz you have to lift the skid try to move the track and pull the skid out all at once. PITA i did it the first 2 times with out tipping it and after i saw my friend do it on there race sleds i tried it the 3rd time.

if you tip the sled to fare on the right side oil comes out of the oil can on the left side of the sled and fills your air box full of oil. FYI just dont tip it to fare on the right side.. If you tip in on the left. Gas will spill out of the vent tube. I pull my air box lid off and tip it fare enought so oil wont come out. Other than that good luck

Another way to get at it is to raise the rear of the sled fairly high after removing the 4 bolts. You can still access both sides of the tunnel and the track lays out on the floor. Really easy to pull the skid out of the track. This does require an over-head lifting set up, I just hooked a rafter in my shed and used a small come-along to lift with. :Rockon:

Phazed said:
Anything else I should check while I'm in there?

Yes! If your phazer is an 07 Take a close look at the pivot link and the front lower cross shaft. I pulled my skid yesterday to install my Hygear pivot elimination kit and the revalved shocks. Upon removal I found the front lower cross shaft was bent! The pivot was OK. I noticed the inner wheels were out of alignment...due to the bent shaft. I dropped off the skid with my dealer today. Hopefully they can get ahold of the parts needed to update it to the 08 rear skid quickly and Yamaha covers everything.

Back