• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Another starter bites the dust.

Motoman765

Expert
Website
www.teamfsr.com
Well my ten day snowmobiling vacation was cut four days short. Was all the way out to the Lake of the Clouds in the UP. Here is how I got home. Needless to say I'm really pissed. Starters are on back order till the end of March!!! WTF!!!! Sorry the video is sideways the wife took the video.

http://tj.moses.bz/100_2942.MOV

That sucks! I'm hoping I dont have any problems like this with my Phazer.Im heading north on Sunday for 6 day starting in Ispheming, then heading to Lake Gogebic, and hitting Escanaba on the way back towards the bridge. I'm crossing my fingers.

I didnt even think that was possible. You Are way stronger than I am. HAHA. I had my started fail too. Its no fun. Bugs Bugs Bugs!!!

thats awesome......

i think we should send it to YAMAHA lol

im hoping that my polaris sno x track will help the sled all around, maybe since it will have polaris parts it will be better?

that stinks, you are not having a good experience with that phazer, hopefully you hang in there and yamaha will sort it out, the more i see these phazer breaking the more doubts i have about them being ditch bangers

Man that made my blood boil just seeing that garbage. Same thing happened to me. About 20 people watched me rope start, I think everyone was thinking what a joke.....I was holding them all up at the gas pump.

News flash to the naysayers, you are all going to have this happen!

co_front_ranger said:
Is there any sign of impending doom before these take a dump? Or do they just stop cranking? Looks like a rope goes in the kit...

No real warning. The only thing that I noticed, that I didn't think anything of at the time, was that the sled cranked over a little slower than usual a couple times before it quit. Don't know if that really had any thing to do with it or not.

Dealer called back and said that the rebuild was not successful and the armature on the starter is bad. Yamaha said the soonest they can get one to the dealer is March 20th. So now we have the best snow of this season, in fact the last couple seasons and they are telling me that my "New" sled (in reality it's just over a season old) is out of commission for the rest of the season. Then they (Yamaha) had the nerve to say that they would pay for part of a rental if I wanted to get one to ride. I'm sorry but I didn't buy a new sled for $7000+ dollars to deal with this and ride a rental. I told them they were going to either pull a good starter off a sled still on the showroom floor or they were going to give me another sled for the rest of the season to ride. They have to check with higher ranking people to see if they can do that. We'll see how that works out.

my starter broke earlier in the year also, but, i thought it was the dealer fault. the reason for this is because they ran it out of gas while it was getting updates, then left it over night so it dried out. then the next day they just sat there cranking it over for 30 minutes. so i thought this was what went wrong. but i recieved my new starter with in a couple if days. hopefully not everyone gets this problem.

Yes, mine is an '07, but I'm sure it's only time for the others too, as it took till this year for all the '07 to start going out. Next year the '08 will start, I would guess.

2700 something miles.

Dealer also said that the two bolts that hold the starter together were backing out when the pulled it apart.

PS if anyone knows if the internals of the RX1 starter are the same let me know. I found a used one of those but the mounting holes are different.

The internals of the starter can be lined up, peened in place and epoxied. Basically whats happening is the armature is moving out of relation to the brushes. Then torque and loctite the through bolts. The starter is generally not wrecked, just "scrambled". And the weak cranking that precedes the failure is a sign that it''s going for sure!

Isthatahemi said:
The internals of the starter can be lined up, peened in place and epoxied. Basically whats happening is the armature is moving out of relation to the brushes. Then torque and loctite the through bolts. The starter is generally not wrecked, just "scrambled". And the weak cranking that precedes the failure is a sign that it''s going for sure!
Good info ;)!

Do you think a good preventative measure for those that haven't failed would be to torque and loctite the through bolts?

Back