• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Reverse Secondary Install

cannondale27

Staff member
Vendor
Lots more on this subject including specific year clutch needed to do this.There are TWO options one requires machining shaft other just a bushing:
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=101732

Just bushing:
I messed up my stock secondary so nows the time to go for it for me.
So I am putting that reverse secondary I had on.15mm Offset is right on with just one of the two stock shims in behind it.Everything clears and I made a bolt with spacer so it can float but have heard different opinions on the necessity of that.So starting over.If it works will be adding a adjustable roller to it.

Attachments

• Reverse Secondary 002.jpg
    Reverse Secondary 002.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 223
  • Reverse Secondary 003.jpg
    Reverse Secondary 003.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 249

I tried using a reverse secondary of a 96 vmax 600 and i couldnt get enough offset. Which secondary are you trying to use?

otter

I believe its a Vmax 500 with a Black spring with light blue stripe 3-3.I got 15mm offset and there is still a shim behind clutch worked out very well.NosPro helped me with clutching a bit.Still need to gain about 300rpm and it will be perfect.It seems smoother and more responsive than the old one.Got about 60mi on it tonight.I will tell you what.Running at 10900 it get very good gas mileage also.Not so much topend loss as I thought either.About 3mph.

Is there some Identification marks on these so I know what I have?

Otter said:
I tried using a reverse secondary of a 96 vmax 600 and i couldnt get enough offset. Which secondary are you trying to use?

otter

Otter how about if I measure from the back of back sheave to the end of the clutch?Everything else is same lengths on them I think.Is more than a inch of splines engaging shaft so that should be plenty.So far working great.I feel it is much smoother when taking it easy and more responsive when getting on it.Will take it to river tonight to test the primary changes I made today.I think I would be happy with slightly less than 11,300rpm since gas mileage is improved drasticly and not much loss of performance that I could tell even at 10,900.4st clutching is easy!

Took the heavy rivets out of tips of primary wieghts and ended up at 11,450 85ave. 88mph max speed.Going to try giving secondary spring less twist if that isnt enough going to put the small steel rivets in there maybe in middle hole.Goal is 11,100-11,300.

Hopefully towards end of the week i will get a chance to do some measureing on the reverse secondary i have. Right now iam using a secondary of a 94 vmax 600 and it has teflon bushing instead of the brass ones. it seems to work pretty good

Otter

Cool.Yes honestly the difference isnt enough to justify a change to a reverse unless they last longer.No negatives though so far and more options with the rollers they have out.Thinking the roller isnt necessary either though.These 4st's make clutching much easier and really who wants quicker backshift on 4st.Not needed with torque!

So both the Vmax 5 or 600 will work with just a bushing?

Will I have to play around with clutching a lot?

As for tuning - that would depend on what you want to get out of it. The only thing I did extra was to buy a spring to match up to what was in my sled originally. The other thing to change easily would be the helix depending on what you want. THere is a really good post on here by Upbushman and another rider really knowledeable in this stuff and he has posted a lot of his test results on this secondary. I don't think you'll be sorry for switching to the reverse secondary. Believe me, I did it so it is not too difficult ;)!

Back