• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro Freeride build (2013 build page 27)

revster

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2009 Yamaha Nytro RTX SE
I have difficult demands on a sled because we do two major trips per year. 1) we do a 500-600 mile trail trip, 2) we head out west for some mountain riding. In between that is about 75% ditches/backcountry and %25 groomed trail. In addition to the different types of riding we do we also do a lot of jumping. Not slednecks type air by any means but road gaps and such.

Traditionally I have swapped my Rev back and forth between mountain set-up but I no longer have the time to do this and with the Nytro it is a lot bigger job. So I'm going to try to build a sled that is a capable backcountry sled that is comfortable enough on the trail. (I'm coming off an X-RS so my idea of comfort is not going to be hard to achieve.)

The sled:
2009 Yamaha Nytro RTX SE
2600 miles on the sled (Purchased used)
Engine warrant till Oct 2011
Already has mountain cooler added.

Phase 1 (this summer):
Drag & Fly clutch kit
Extend to 136"
Roll over tether kit
Post relocation
Gearing change
Larger front bumper
Oilite A-arm bushings
Vents
Roest skid plate
Slip on exhaust
Extra bracing
Powder coating
...and what ever else the budget will allow.

Phase 2 (next summer)
Full exhaust
Fuel controller (done in Phase 1)
Intake (done in Phase 1)
Light weight parts

Let these pics serve as the before shots....

Attachments

• 1before.jpg
    1before.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 626
  • 2before.jpg
    2before.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 641

It appears that my skid pulling method works as well on the Nytro as it did on my Rev. Doo and Yamaha's method of mounting the skid to the tunnel are identical.

Attachments

• 3pullingskid.jpg
    3pullingskid.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 619
Now that I've got the sled on the lift I was able to move the front suspension around and I could not believe the slop in the ball joints. The top joint seems to have the most slop. Of course thanks to this site I knew it was something I had to check.

I also checked the bottoms of the limiter straps and sure enough they are starting to wear through.

But the good news is, no signs of the subframe being bent.

Attachments

• 4onlift.jpg
    4onlift.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 623
The tear down continues. This sled is in very good condition I really like what I see so far. It's nice that the entire under the hood area isn't covered in oil like it was in my 2-strokes.

...also a pic of the damage to the limiter straps. I'm thinking of adding an anti-stab kit that might help this problem as well.

Attachments

• teardown1.jpg
    teardown1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 592
  • teardown2.jpg
    teardown2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 581
  • straps.jpg
    straps.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 625
:4STroke: you know not haveing all the oil and grease and crap under the hood is one my favorite things about my warrior, my old mxz 800 was just black under the hood and thats with yearly cleanings

mbarclay said:
:4STroke: you know not haveing all the oil and grease and crap under the hood is one my favorite things about my warrior, my old mxz 800 was just black under the hood and thats with yearly cleanings

No doubt. I've never owned a 2 stroke that didn't start spraying oil all over the place after a while. Some from new. I won't miss that.

kinger said:
Curious what track your going to go with for the crossover. I'm in a similar boat and cant decide LOL

Funny that you ask that as that has been the decision I've been struggling with the most.

My buddy has a 136" x 15" x 1.75" hillcross track that work well here and be not bad out west. However it's another track that I'd have to buy when I already have 3 in my garage.

One of the tracks that I have is a 136" x15" x 2" challenger. Right now I'm leaning towards running this track simply because I already have it. I know it will be wicked out west but around home it will be too much lug for sure.

The other option I am exploring is cutting my 2" down to 1.75 or somewhere in between.

I made a run down to the boarder the other day and picked up some after market parts. One box was short an item but I have every confidence that the guy that sent it to me will make that right.

But still collecting lots of trick parts for the sled and I am very happy with everything I've got so far. (I'll mention each item as I add it to the sled.)

This evening was more of the same still tearing it down. I discovered that having the sled on a lift is not ideal for pulling the subframe. I needed to pull the frame down to clear the oil line and air box but the lift was in the way. So we hooked the sled to the chain hoist and lifted it off the stand and pulled the subframe. I added a couple of blocks that I believe will give me the clearance that I need to put the subframe back on.

So I just need to removed the steering control components from the subframe and it will be off to the welders to get grizztracks gussets welded in. (Subframe not bent just preventative).

Attachments

• subframe.jpg
    subframe.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 617
  • teardown3.jpg
    teardown3.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 606
revster said:
kinger said:
Curious what track your going to go with for the crossover. I'm in a similar boat and cant decide LOL

Funny that you ask that as that has been the decision I've been struggling with the most.

My buddy has a 136" x 15" x 1.75" hillcross track that work well here and be not bad out west. However it's another track that I'd have to buy when I already have 3 in my garage.

One of the tracks that I have is a 136" x15" x 2" challenger. Right now I'm leaning towards running this track simply because I already have it. I know it will be wicked out west but around home it will be too much lug for sure.

The other option I am exploring is cutting my 2" down to 1.75 or somewhere in between.

I have a Challenger 2" x 136" on my 700SX and had the same intent as you to cut it down. I never ended up doing it because I loved the off trail performance. I installed scratchers thinking I would have heating and slider issues and only ever used them once. On groomed trails, it isn't ideal. You have to be careful with the throttle at speed because it's easy to break traction. I don't ride a lot of groomed trails and the benefits off trail made the on trail compromise worth it for me.

Yammerhead said:
revster said:
kinger said:

I have a Challenger 2" x 136" on my 700SX and had the same intent as you to cut it down. I never ended up doing it because I loved the off trail performance. I installed scratchers thinking I would have heating and slider issues and only ever used them once. On groomed trails, it isn't ideal. You have to be careful with the throttle at speed because it's easy to break traction. I don't ride a lot of groomed trails and the benefits off trail made the on trail compromise worth it for me.

Yeah I'm kind of thinking the same thing. I do however have one long trail trip per year and I think the 2" might be pretty annoying for that ride. I might try cutting it down to 1 7/8" and see how that goes.

Things have slowed down a bit as I work on other project around the house. But I am almost at the turn around point.

The sway bar is coming off and not going back on. Unfortunately the allen head on one of the bolts rounded out while trying to remove it. So that is going to kill some time taking that out. That is the second one that has done that on me.

I also got the tail end ready for the extension. The tunnel extension I got from Ulmer looks great!

Attachments

• extension1.jpg
    extension1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 587
  • teardown4.jpg
    teardown4.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 579
Work on the sled has been pretty slow due to work around the house but I have managed to get the subframe stripped down and prepped it for the support plate to be welded in.

I also got the tunnel polished before mounting the tunnel braces.

My biggest hurtle seems to be the extro drivers. Not sure what I am doing for those yet.

Attachments

• subframe2.jpg
    subframe2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 647
  • tunnel.jpg
    tunnel.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 581
APEX 06 said:
Looks like your having a great time. Wish I had something to like this.

Yeah about as much as you can with a sled and no snow. ;)!

This sweet tunnel extension is from ULMER RACING she's all mounted up and I think it looks pretty good.

The exhaust silencer is a HAUCK slip-on that I bought used from TY member dansranger. (Thanks dude) I think this is the only used item that I bought simply because I am planning to replace it next season with a full system.

Attachments

• tunnelEXT.jpg
    tunnelEXT.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 623

Back