• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 Apex Gas in oil

Smokum

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 Apex XTX, 2003 RX-1 MTN
Last season I picked up an 06 Apex GT for my dad. Had 4700 miles. After the first weekend trip of 350 miles, I checked it over and noticed the oil level had increased. It smelled a little like gas, but I didn't think a whole lot of it and thought maybe I added more oil than normal when I changed it. Made another weekend trip of about 350 miles and checked it again. It had increased again, and now I definitely could smell the gas in the oil. The sled was running great and he didn't want to tear into it, so I suggested changing the oil and seeing what happens again. He made 2 more weekend trips totaling 600 miles, and again the oil is overfull and smells of gas. It still runs excellent and I notice nothing else wrong.

From what I have read it could be an injector issue or possibly a fuel pressure regulator. It was also suggested that I check compression to make sure one cylinder isn't low, but I would think it wouldn't run real well if that was the issue.

Anyway, looking for input on how to proceed diagnosing and fixing it. Thanks in advance!

With a carb I'd say float stuck or needle seat stuck. With injection I can only guess an injector is leaking fuel so when the pump is up to pressure but motor not running say when shut off after running the injector bleeds the fuel into the cylinder. When its running its just burning more fuel in that cylinder. I don't know how to test injectors for leaking other then pull them and turn on the key but don't start it. My only guess!

With that much fuel raw running thru the engine it really cant see it running right and would have a stumble at idle.
If it were the pressure reg all 4 cylinders would be running rich eventually flooding the engine. This would be more prominent at lower rpm's.
A stuck or dirty injector would only affect one cylinder and allow the engine to keep running.
If you had an adapter for the fuel rail and a fuel pressure gauge you could do a leak down test on the injectors and test fuel pressure.
You could also check the to see if fuel is coming back into the tank while at idle via the return line located on the right side inside the tank. This is easier to see when the tank is about 1/4 full.

I rode the sled myself on the second trip of the year for 30 miles and it didn't miss a beat. I have another 06 Apex to compare to and notice no difference. I guess I can ask my dad to make sure it didn't develop any issues after that that he didn't tell me about or I forgot just to be sure, but he is usually quick to tell me to fix something. LOL

Any idea on what type of an adapter would be needed and where it would connect to on the rail?

To see if the fuel is coming back into the tank, I would be confirming the unused fuel isn't going elsewhere correct? How much fuel should be coming back? Pretty sure his tank is full.....go figure.

Can't remember what the Apex has but most fuel rails were Schrader valves. I had my sled apart sooo many times but never looked that closely to the fuel rail.
The check valve on the return line on the tank has been known to fail. Fuel should flow at a medium trickle. Hard to see the flow when the tank is full.
If fuel is flowing back into the tank this will confirm that the check valve is good. It will also tell you that the pressure regulator is working but it may still have the incorrect pressure.

I talked to my dad, and he said there is no issues with how it runs, short of an occasional back fire when he lets off (which I am assuming may be exhaust gaskets starting to go bad). So I think the logical progression would be as follows:
1 - See if check valve is working properly.
2 - If #1 is good, test fuel system for pressure. I don't have a pressure gauge, any suggestions on what to get and where to get it? Also, what is the correct pressure for the system?
3 - Replace what's bad on #2.

Any other suggestions? Should get to check some things out tonight/tomorrow.

Here's something you could try. Remove the t bodies from the motor. Leave everything hooked up and turn switch on and pressurize the fuel rail. Stick a paper towel underneath the engine side of t bodies. Leave switch on over night and see if the t bodies weep any fuel onto the paper towel.

After running the engine, pull the vacuum hose off the regulator. Tap the end of the hose on a hard surface to check for gasoline inside the hose. There should not be any. If there is the regulator is bad allowing fuel into the vacuum system. This may be flooding the engine.

I checked the gas return into the tank and that was fine. I also ran the sled and then pulled the vacuum line and checked for fuel as Soldier'spapa suggested and it was dry.

Travis - Do i juat have to loosen the clamps on the rubber boots and then just pull the rack or is there moore i need to disconnect? Also do you leave the key on the entire night? If I remove the t body to test for leaks and I find one, do you know what will need to be replaced then? Or have I eliminated enough from the other tests at this point to know it's the injectors?

I pulled the entire t body loose and left the key on overnight with a clean paper towel between the boots and t body as Travis suggested, and had no leaks. I also left the towel in there after I turned the key off the next morning to see if it would leak then, and it still didn't.

I am stumped at this point. The only thing I didn't do was test pressure with a gauge, but I would think that would prove the same thing as the last test I did? If not, I will buy the gauge and proper fittings to do this test.

Open to other advice if anyone has any.

Another thing I just thought of was when I bought this sled the previous owner had a tune on it (pretty sure it was a power commander). He took it off before we bought it as he wanted it for a different sled. I know those add fuel to help when people do air box & exhaust mods. Would it be possible that the fuel map didn't switch back when it was removed? Seems to me it wouldn't be possible, but figured I'd ask the dumb question. For the record, the air box is stock and I believe the exhaust is as well - most it could be would be gutted stock.

I just realized the Title of my thread is Oil in gas - should be gas in oil. Dyslexic I guess. Can a mod please change that?

Back