• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

14 Viper hard start, crank and crank.....

Father Mike

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2006 Apex GT N/A Build
2011 Apex SE
2009 Nytro XTX
2014 yamaha viper xtx, 3900 miles. we were told the sled had all updates done. sled cranks and cranks for 15+ seconds and sometimes doesn't start at all. sled sits in heated garage. sleds new to us for this season. I had a 15 and started no issue like 2 seconds. this cant be normal im going nuts here. sled now has new plus and new battery. please any help before i sell this thing.

Does it have Old gas? Did you call Yamaha and give them your VIN to verify it has the newest flash? Any mods done to the sled?

When it does start and run, is the idle speed correct?

I have all the latest flashes sometimes it takes about 5 to 8 seconds to start. They never really figured this out. Just make sure to keep key on till started so the starter does not kick back.

I don't really think this is a flash issues it should still start and run no matter what flash it has. Is the fuel pump coming on when you turn the key? Has the stub shaft moved, make sure your TORS is adjusted properly, did it run when you bought it, is the muffler or air box plugged? Could very well be bad gas but I doubt it unless its been sitting for awhile. Hate to say it but it's gonna be a process of elimination.

It could also be bad plugs. I never crank starter for more than a 3 count and never less even if it starts right away if it doesn’t start. Back off key and try again. Bad gas will ruin the plugs especially if you start it and don’t ride it.

So true Cannondale the worst thing you can do is start it and shut it off right away with out letting it warm up. That will foul the plugs out big time. If you do happen to get it started let it run and warm up good usually until the fan turns on.

He mentions he has new plugs in it unless they've been fouled after the change.

Once started and fully warmed does it take 15 secs to restart like a cold start or does it start right up? How does it idle? What RPM? How did the gas change work out?

With all the problems with the starter magnets slipping I wouldn't continue cranking for more than 4-5 sec. You don't want to over heat the starter and I've found with my 15 Viper if it doesn't start after several seconds it never will until I stop cranking and cycle the key.

It was stated in a previous post that the flash has nothing to do with it not starting but I disagree. I believe that the anti-kickback update won't allow it to fire if voltages and the cranking rpm is insufficient. There have been reports of weak starters causing startup problems and when replaced the problem is corrected. Also, if the ISC or fuel pump relays in the fuse box haven't been replaced I'd replace them to eliminate a possible intermittent problem.

There are 5 relays in the fuse box that can be upgraded with these:
Mouser relays.png

I feel for you.
With a new to you but used sled, you dont know if its the flash, stale gas or bad relay.
Dont know it you can pull a vin history to see how much warranty work was performed or not. Dont know how that works with sleds.

I know alot of you think Im crazy, but the wifes 2014 7000 is on its original flash.

This is another "timely" thread for me; it seems like any issue you could possibly have is covered here at one time or another!

I have a 2016 Viper with just under 6K miles, and it has never had an issue starting. This year, it turned over but would not fire. The battery seemed weak, so I hooked up my portable battery pack, and it started right up. I charged up the battery that had been sitting all summer thinking the low charge was the problem, but after charging, it cranked and cranked and cranked and would not fire until I boosted it again. I assumed my battery, although charged, wasn't putting out enough amperage so I tried a new battery, and while it eventually started, it started hard.

I treated the gas last spring as usual, and just assumed it was still good. My next step was new plugs, but now having read this, before I put in new plugs I will drain out the old gas. Hopefully that will cure my issue.

Test the battery voltage drop while cranking the engine. You can do this by putting the kill switch in the off position so the engine won't fire then read the battery voltage while cranking the starter. If there's a significant enough draw on the battery the voltage drop my be enough to prevent the ECU from successfully starting the engine. If that's the case you may have a weak starter.

Test the battery voltage drop while cranking the engine. You can do this by putting the kill switch in the off position so the engine won't fire then read the battery voltage while cranking the starter. If there's a significant enough draw on the battery the voltage drop my be enough to prevent the ECU from successfully starting the engine. If that's the case you may have a weak starter.
I didn't think it will even crank with the kill off?

Back