• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2005 RS Venture - Where to mount rail-style ice scratchers

Jack_Shaft

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Hello everybody... I used to be a big contributor here but since I sold my RX-1 a few years back, I haven't been here so much. Nice to see that the community is still doing well.

I have a 2005 RS Venture that badly needs a Spring time cooling aid, I have run spring-style ice scratchers for many years with great success and would like to mount them to the rear skid on this sled.

Where do you guys mount them? A picture of where you have mounted them on your rear skid where it does not interfere with some other component would be greatly appreciated.

Well, to answer my own question, the rail style scratchers really don't fit anywhere well, so I installed the runningboard style ones as per attached photos. They work well and I highly recommend them.

Attachments

• photo_side.JPG
    photo_side.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 678
Sled Dog said:
Hey that install looks good is that as far forward as you could go?

Yes, that's as far forward as I could go without getting into the footwell. They are very effective, I have thousands of miles on this type of scratcher on other sleds. if you look closely, the rear hanger actually uses one of the screws from the passenger footrest as well. The bolt takes the real load, the screw just keeps it from tilting.

Jack_Shaft said:
Sled Dog said:
Hey that install looks good is that as far forward as you could go?

Yes, that's as far forward as I could go without getting into the footwell. They are very effective, I have thousands of miles on this type of scratcher on other sleds. if you look closely, the rear hanger actually uses one of the screws from the passenger footrest as well. The bolt takes the real load, the screw just keeps it from tilting.

Good thinking very good install. Does the spray from the scratcher catch the back of the track is this where most of the lubrication is caught and used in the rear suspension?

It's a bit late for you jack_shaft but for those who want to mount them even more far forward, it's possible to install those same one just under the footrest. This is how I mount them on my 2005 venture and my actual 2007, here some pics...

DSC07588.jpg

DSC07589.jpg

DSC07590.jpg

DSC06889Medium.jpg

I run them for 6 years now, they are cheap and work incredibly good. I put them on without stopping with one hand, most of the time just one is enough and with both side down you can ride two up on glare ice!!! One of the best add-on I had put on the sled. No more worries of an after thaw trail condition on a saddlebag trip or to ride early on a spring morning...

:Rockon:

Alain

Also, I remembered by looking at your pictures and mine that I installed them reversed vs the instructions, I put the right one left and the left one right because I found them a bit too close to the track in down position as per instructions. Also the same to hook them up, they fit better this way...

Alain

Cool and makes sense. Does the spray pattern shoot straight into the side of the suspension or more near the rear?

Sled Dog said:
Cool and makes sense. Does the spray pattern shoot straight into the side of the suspension or more near the rear?

Mounted this way the spray hit the rail 6" to 8" in front the central pivot point on my Expert-X. Look at my last picture, it was after around 15 miles of trail hard as rock not groomed after a thaw... look at the uniformity of the snow fium on the rails...It's what I like from them, they really scratch and work when you need it, in place of just rubbing like cable type one.

new4stroker said:
How bad is the damage when you reverse by mistake with this style down.

I bent one spring in doing it... bent it back and scratch for the next 30 000kms... of course not always down!!! You can get a replacement spring for $18. but I had reversed a couple time with one or two down and just realize they were down from the brake effect and the rear suspension tend to rise up... I never break one but some friends did. Having two on the sled give you the security to at least having one left to work for you to finish your trip and replace it for cheap in less than 2 minutes when you get back home

Alain

I bought a set of ice scratchers (RSI) that are rail mounted, would anyone have a picture of how they mounted these types ?

noflipside said:
I bought a set of ice scratchers (RSI) that are rail mounted, would anyone have a picture of how they mounted these types ?

As I said in my earlier post, they really don't fit well anywhere that I can see.

Back