• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2005 RX-1 skid break

burlyviper

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 Sidewinder LTX LE, blue
2011 Apex 128, Ulmer Airbox and clutch kit, PCV, HID
1980 Exciter 300
We have one RX-1 in the group so I haven't kept up with this particular forum, however I think what happened to us is a common problem. I just haven't come across the right search words.

I have attached a picture of the break in the skid. Is this an easy fix? Does someone make a replacement that is beefed up?

Thanks.

Attachments

• RX1 skid break.jpeg
    RX1 skid break.jpeg
    19.9 KB · Views: 89

I forgot to add the sled has 5700 miles.

It is a common issue with early monoshock skids. There was a company who did repairs and beef up kits for these skids as well as powder coated them for a very reasonable price. I think they have stopped and there may be another company in the process of offering this if I remember right. Can't think of the names off hand. If you know someone who can weld I think it would be a fairly easy fix.

Looks like it broke on the weld which would make for an easy fix
I would also triangulate that corner on both sides for added strength
And stability.

its just cheaper to buy one out of a 2008 or later apex - they are factory beefed up and no longer rust out from the inside. If you repair the existing one you have to brace every weld cause the stress will transfer to the next weakest point.

I have broken and tried to fix more than 5 of them and just automatically pulled them and had them reworked prior to riding just as a piece of mind.

Yamadog said:
its just cheaper to buy one out of a 2008 or later apex - they are factory beefed up and no longer rust out from the inside. If you repair the existing one you have to brace every weld cause the stress will transfer to the next weakest point.

X2 Makes perfect sense. Tons of guys parting out sled here. Check the classifieds for a used one

Back