• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2006 RS Nytro Threw a Rod Through The Block

tcb4

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2005 RS Rage, 2006 Nytro ER (Blown Motor)
My 2006 Rs Nytro decided to throw the center rod right through the block. It's gonna be torn down, but I'm curious what you think happened. I was just riding it around the yard and I hit it across a ditch and just heard a loud, quick smacking noise, almost like when the track or chain slips. It was still running when I stopped and shut it off. Thought it was the clutch coming apart so I started it back up to move it and noticed it was running on two. I saw the oil shortly after and I realized then that I was in trouble. Took the oil access cover off and a 1.5 inch piece of rod fell out. 5001 miles and the engine was warmed up before riding. Not really sure what happened, any thoughts or just a fatigue failure? My friend who works on sleds for a living seems to think something must have been wedged to break the rod (Cam chain tensioner failure?), but the fact that it ran after makes me think the valves didn't hit the pistons. Air filter was fine too, nice and clean with no holes that I could see.

My 2006 Rs Nytro decided to throw the center rod right through the block. It's gonna be torn down, but I'm curious what you think happened. I was just riding it around the yard and I hit it across a ditch and just heard a loud, quick smacking noise, almost like when the track or chain slips. It was still running when I stopped and shut it off. Thought it was the clutch coming apart so I started it back up to move it and noticed it was running on two. I saw the oil shortly after and I realized then that I was in trouble. Took the oil access cover off and a 1.5 inch piece of rod fell out. 5001 miles and the engine was warmed up before riding. Not really sure what happened, any thoughts or just a fatigue failure? My friend who works on sleds for a living seems to think something must have been wedged to break the rod (Cam chain tensioner failure?), but the fact that it ran after makes me think the valves didn't hit the pistons. Air filter was fine too, nice and clean with no holes that I could see.

Thats crazy.. could have been Cam chain tensioner failure... cause it to be out of time. I would still call into Yamaha, thats low miles and this should have never happened on a 4stroke with that low of miles.

Back