• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2009 cold start issue

ecdlmd02

Country
USA
My sons 2009 phazer will not start when the temp is 15f or colder. Turns over, but acts as no fire. I know there was an issue in 2007, but thought it was fixed. Any ideas? Runs well otherwise.

When you get the no start event, can you hear the fuel pump running when you turn the key?

Yes, fuel pump cycles, cranks over fine, no fire. Doesn't seem to even spit or stumble.

What rpm is it showing as it is cranking? Also what oil is in it and how many miles on it?

The RPM while cranking is important as it may show if the crank sensor is working. Is it flashing a code on the pod? As a quick test, try some starting fluid while cranking to rule out a fuel problem.

My 2009 starts down to -30c but I am using yamalube 0-40w full synthetic with any higher weight I could not get the motor to spin fast enough.

My 2009 starts down to -30c but I am using yamalube 0-40w full synthetic with any higher weight I could not get the motor to spin fast enough.
I do use Mobil One 0W-40 full synthetic. I wondered if this was a possible issue, but find it hard to believe the Yamaha oil is somehow special in that regard? I found the specifications for the Mobil One, but couldnt find the spec on the Yamahlube?

My 2007 GT has been harder to start in the past few years - even with a new battery and Yamalube 0w40. And the end of last season i had the ground block update done. Now it starts with no issues.

The RPM while cranking is important as it may show if the crank sensor is working. Is it flashing a code on the pod? As a quick test, try some starting fluid while cranking to rule out a fuel problem.

Cranks over at 210 rpm, no codes. What a pain...

Does it seem to crank too slow? Have you tried to use a booster pack or a new fully charged battery? What about starting fluid?

For the cold starting issues, the ECU was updated but it had to have been done by the dealer. Check your ECU's part number. If it ends with -10, it's been updated as well as the decompression springs on the cam gear. If it ends in -00, it hasn't been updated.

At -15f (-26c), they are just hard to start, updated or not.

210rpm is slow, mine cranks between 270 and 310rpm. Like moosman said try with a boost pack attached. The battery might br good but tired and cannot push enough current at the lower temps.

Back