• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2009 Yamaha Nytro Subframe?

YamaMTX

Lifetime Member
I was just wondering if people are having any problems with the 2009 subframes like they did in 2008?

What is the best way to tell if it is tweaked just a little?

I am wondering all of this because I am trying to decide if need to extend the warranty. I would rather not because with in a year or so it will be heavely modded to the point they probably wouldn't cover much anyways.

I did search some but didn't find what I was looking for. Any info is appreciated!

easiest indicator...drive sled up to front of garage door...if one ski is further forward than the other...you just might have a tweaked sub-frame....

no issues for me...but I am gentle and timid wiht my sled...it barely gets out of the trailer...and even then, it just gets out and spins donuts in parking lot :)

I am guessing since this thread hasn't had many people chime in, Yamaha must not have many problems with the 2009?

YamaMTX said:
I am guessing since this thread hasn't had many people chime in, Yamaha must not have many problems with the 2009?

I've heard of people bending the new ones too.. But, that being said. I think the same people could bend/break anything. Soooo.. ;)

My 08 sf was toast, i installed an 09 over the summer..it def has more support..time will tell weather it is 'better' or not I guess.

A lot of people know its an issue, and ride it bent..

Just some advice, if its bent, and you want to try to straighten it, use your STOCK a-aarms to yank stuff around...or just leave it alone.
I bent up my BB arms tryin to straighten things..so, now things are still off, but not because of the subframe. :p
Granted, I would rather have a-arms bent than subframes..A break, or bend point style a-arm would be great, but then you'd have people complaining that their a-arms are bending. Revs went and go through the same bs.
Its cheaper and easier to replace an a-arm people...and easier to keep one at the truck if absolutely needed. But, not everyone follows this idealogy. /shrug
100? bucks to replace an aarm, 30 mins to replace. VS 300-400? $ for subframe, 2-5? hours to replace (depending on mods..) Hmm...lets think about this one. :p could go through 3-4? aarms before you are at the cost of a single subframe.. not to mention the repair time itself.

Anyway...another way to eyeball it, is look at the gap between shock and upper a-arm..if its closer to one side its tweaked. Harder to eyeball this on a springed shock..but if its bad enough you will be able to see it here.
Also, spindle angle can be an indicator, but may not be as prominent on the stock parts either. Its obvious on my BB spindles..

Yup, I'm one the guys who sufferred a bent frame on my 09 SE...a little dip in the trail and one ski stuck and the frame and a-arm bent...at a few miles an hour. Really frustrating when you have only 100km on a sled and it's all bent up with a ski twisted inward.

I ended up removing the frame, bent things back in place and strengthening it up with some extra gussets welded in.

Man that is unexceptable and what I was worried about. Did Yamaha get you a new one or did you have to pick up the bill?
What did you do to reinforce it, any pics?

If the sled is stock what is all involved to replace it?

YamaMTX said:
Man that is unexceptable and what I was worried about. Did Yamaha get you a new one or did you have to pick up the bill?
What did you do to reinforce it, any pics?

If the sled is stock what is all involved to replace it?

Yamaha would not replace it as it happened as a result of impact...definitely did not make me very happy. I don't have any pics on this computer, but when i get home, I'll try to post a few this evening.

I think there are a couple of threads on subframe in the Nytro section...try a search and see all the work involved.

I looked again today and I think I might have confirmed my suspicions. If that is the case, this sucks! My sled has seen one trip out to the UP of Michigan and less then 500 miles. It looks to me one ski is about 3/4 of an inch back further then the other. If I have to get a replacement is there a fix for good?

Here's some pics of the work involved with repairing the subframe. It really helps to have an Uncle who knows how to weld.

Attachments

• 19a.JPG
    19a.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 441
  • 18a.JPG
    18a.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 386
  • 16a.JPG
    16a.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 518
  • 15a.JPG
    15a.JPG