• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2011 apex starting issue

dylanjen9

Expert
It has done this for a long time and want to know if it’s normal. When I first start apex when it’s cold it takes 3-4 times for it to keep running. It will fire then die. Also backfires sometimes on long runs when letting off gas. It’s like it’s getting to much gas or something. Completely stock and just put in new exhaust gaskets has 8000 miles

What is the idle set at both hot and cold? That doesn't seem right you could try increasing the idle a couple hundred rpms. Backfiring is usually indicating exhaust donuts but you just replaced and that is still there?

not normal. mine starts right up the first time. do you have the updated relay? How old is your battery? you running premium fuel in it? backfiring like mentioned could have been the gaskets,

Seems to idle fine maybe a little low on startup. Brand new battery always run 91 gas. Not sure what relay you’re talking about

I would increase idle and run a couple tanks of 87 through it with yamaha ring free additive. 91 is not great when the engine is not set up for it but use that for storage.

relays above left foot ( i believe there are 4 or 5 together, can't remember, sorry i'm at work) . the original black starter relay has issues getting moisture and/ or freezing. Red one is an updated solid state relay.

My 2011 always started like #*$&@ when it was really cold, so did my father’s. Do a search and you will find lots of threads about this during the 2011/2012 season when these things first hit the snow. Mine was better with an Ulmer mapped PCV, but never started as well as any of the ‘06 Apes we had, or any of the three bangers from any year.

That’s what I think have a 06 apex and 09 vector that start right away. It’s like it isn’t tuned right

Ok, my 11 has NEVER started as well as my 06, even with an Ulmer mapped PCV. The ONLY way it starts consistently is to hold the key on until,it is RUNNING. For 9'yrs this has been my biggest gripe with the way this sled runs. Idle surges up and down. I just ignore it. And if it's really cold, DON'T let go of the key until it's running. She'll flood out and then you've got real problems. At almost 16,000 miles I had to replace the starter. Grinding like crazy for over a week while on a trip. Probably damaged it the day I jumped it after flooding. Held the key down and the throttle open for about a minute and a half with the throttle wide open. Starter was SMOKIN!!

x2 on what viper dave said for cold starting but mine has been good for 18000 mi and i have started it at -35c with no issues.

Back