• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2013 Apex pulls big train on skidoo etecs

I'm pretty open minded when it comes to snowmobiles. I started out back in the day riding a Exciter 2 SP which for its day was a nice sled. Hated that my buddies Indy 500 would beat me consitantly though. When on to Poo then got out after a few years and had the sportbike itch even though I always loved Harleys from when I was a kid. After I got out of the Army I got a 2000 SRX 700 and that sled was fast real fast then a 05 RX1 06 RTX 09 LTX and then went to a 09 Renegade 800r with a bunch of mods. The suspension was alot better than Yamaha's when the trails got worn and way better off trail but even with the mods it still wasn't the hard pull of the Apex. Now if I didn't have a bad back and the riding position wasn't so cramped for me and I was younger i may still have kept the Skidoo. My wife has a 07 Gade 600 SDI and that sled has been bulletproof so far 3500 miles. Then only problem I've had with that sled is the exhaust header bolts keep backing out and falling out. other than that zero issues. I had more minor issues with my other Apexes but that being said my 2011 Apex SE is bar none the best sled I have owned to date. Excell wheels solved the slide issue completely. This was my first Apex I bought used and no matter the quality of Yamaha I was a bit nervous at first but I've had zero issues. Its fast real fast and the all air suspension for me is the best I've ridden to date. I have no doubt the new Skidoos ride as good if not better but as I mostly trail ride now and at very high speeds I love the new Apex. Not sore at all at the end of a 150 or 250 mile day and I dare to hold it to the bar on a nice RR bed for miles. The Skidoo I never dared to hold it too long. I was just to scared to hear the dreaded boom. So for me and my preferances the Yamaha Apex is the sled for me. Improvement? No matter what sled you ride after awhile theres always something we'd all want to improve. So until I find a better sled for ME the Apex is it. Now a motorcycle theres only one for me and thats a Harley Davidson. Nothing like 120 Ft lbs of torque out of a Vtwin. Awesome thats all I can say.

everyone has an opinion. After years of riding yamaha's all I needed was one day on a doo to change mine. Anyone who says he can ride an apex the same way you can ride this doo is full of sht!!!!

i can ride an apex better than any doo wow your getting a little excited

I ride both an Apex and a 600etec, both sleds have their strengths and weaknesses. Good trails running at speed, the Apex is in its element and is fantastic. Tight and twisty trails that are beat, tough to beat the light weight of the Doo.

07 Apex Gt said:
i can ride an apex better than any doo wow your getting a little excited

not at all. I think this thread is funny. I wonder what all you guys are going to do with your YamaCats. LMAO!!!!

Yamaha isn't going to build the apex forever even though it seems like its been around forever.

jtssrx said:
everyone has an opinion. After years of riding yamaha's all I needed was one day on a doo to change mine. Anyone who says he can ride an apex the same way you can ride this doo is full of sht!!!!

I don't know what your doing with your sled but I can tell you that where I ride in the NE an Apex SE will out run an XP through the trails all day. Thats through the turns off the turns and down the straights. Guess I'm full of sh!t. There's nothing special about the doo chassis anymore. The other maufactures had some catching up to do and they have. Now skidoo has some catching up to do. If you have your skidoo for any lenght of time you will know first hand what I'm talking about. My skidoo friends that I ride with seem to accept the contant problems their sleds have. Last week they had three handwarmers fail two secondary clutches one ptec motor went down with worn out rings (cost him three days of riding). Did you ever have any of these problems with one of your yamahas, I haven't and I'm on Yamahas going back to 1986. None of these sleds had 4K miles on them yet. I wish you luck with your sled...you'll need it.............

titanrcr said:
jtssrx said:

I don't know what your doing with your sled but I can tell you that where I ride in the NE an Apex SE will out run an XP through the trails all day. Thats through the turns off the turns and down the straights. Guess I'm full of sh!t. There's nothing special about the doo chassis anymore. The other maufactures had some catching up to do and they have. Now skidoo has some catching up to do. If you have your skidoo for any lenght of time you will know first hand what I'm talking about. My skidoo friends that I ride with seem to accept the contant problems their sleds have. Last week they had three handwarmers fail two secondary clutches one ptec motor went down with worn out rings (cost him three days of riding). Did you ever have any of these problems with one of your yamahas, I haven't and I'm on Yamahas going back to 1986. None of these sleds had 4K miles on them yet. I wish you luck with your sled...you'll need it.............

The one fact you keep ignoring is I owned an apex. I'm not a snowcross rider but I can pick them up and lay them down on a trail and this sled is just as good as an apex. Where it shines is the moguls and the playfulness aspec. You just can't do the same things on an apex as you can on a sled that weighs 200 pounds less. Mg biggest fear going back to an apex was losing the "fun factor". That and the heavy feel and I found out about that when the mad Russian and I traded sleds for forty miles last year in munising. His sled felt 200 pounds heavier then my procross. I can only imagine how much lighter the doo feels.

Can I ask why do you take what saying so personal?? I clearly love Yamaha, I clearly stated I love the apex. It's just not as fun to ride as a doo and again that's my opinion.

As far as luck goes ill own this sled for two years and its gone. Maybe Yamaha will build a sled that's 200 pounds lighter or build one that feels 200 pounds lighter until them I have no interest and I certainly have zero interest in that new sled. I owned a procross all I can say is garbage

""everyone has an opinion. After years of riding yamaha's all I needed was one day on a doo to change mine. Anyone who says he can ride an apex the same way you can ride this doo is full of sht!!!!""

""Can I ask why do you take what saying so personal?? I clearly love Yamaha, I clearly stated I love the apex. It's just not as fun to ride as a doo and again that's my opinion.""

Well you do realize your posting your opinions on a Yamaha Apex forum right? And your saying that if you don't agree with my opinions your "full of sh!!t". You have a funny way of showing your "Love of Yamahas".

More than 10,000 Ski-Doo snowmobiles are being recalled because of a potential fire hazard.

According to the notice by the Consumer Products Safety Commission, there have been reports of three fires but no injuries.
You should immediately stop using the snowmobile. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.
The recall affects 23 models, about 10,200 Ski-Doo snowmobiles with engine types 800R E-TEC and 600HO E-TEC sold nationwide from March 2012 through January 2013 for between $8,000 and $12,000.

Re: re

rsolom6 said:
On our trip we did a 950 mile loop in 5 days. On the second day the f1000 cat with 1,000 miles on the sled cooked a piston at the fatherest point from the truck (450 miles) cost our guy $850.00 just to get back to the truck. then two days at the motel alone. Thats why i ride a four stroke yamaha. :Rockon:

That's not fun at all.

:4STroke:

titanrcr said:
""everyone has an opinion. After years of riding yamaha's all I needed was one day on a doo to change mine. Anyone who says he can ride an apex the same way you can ride this doo is full of sht!!!!""

""Can I ask why do you take what saying so personal?? I clearly love Yamaha, I clearly stated I love the apex. It's just not as fun to ride as a doo and again that's my opinion.""

Well you do realize your posting your opinions on a Yamaha Apex forum right? And your saying that if you don't agree with my opinions your "full of sh!!t". You have a funny way of showing your "Love of Yamahas".

This is a waste of time you all missed my points. Enjoy your apex I would have enjoyed a 2012 if I bought one. lucky for me I was open minded enought o try something different and I did listen to every guy on the Internet who says every skidoo blows up. Or better yet listened to a bunch of guys that make themselves feel better about the sled they own by saying crappy things about other sleds. Notice I never said one bad thing about the apex, I think it's a great sled and as I said would have been proud to own one.

I came close to getting the 1200 Doo Renegade when I bought my 2012 Apex 2 weeks ago. Reading what JTS has said, I kinda wish I would have. With only 277 miles, I think this Apex really rocks. But if I could get my $9,500 back, I think I would try the Doo.......

Mighty said:
I came close to getting the 1200 Doo Renegade when I bought my 2012 Apex 2 weeks ago. Reading what JTS has said, I kinda wish I would have. With only 277 miles, I think this Apex really rocks. But if I could get my $9,500 back, I think I would try the Doo.......

after I got my apex i thought the same until I rode the 1200...its BORING..fast but no excitement like a supermodel thats at sleep in bed....then i got on the Etec800...now thats fun blast of a ride!!!! but I'm "true Blue"....Not "true blue with shades of green;-)

jtssrx said:

I disagree with your statement. Out of the box the apex does not handle as well as it should. With some tuning to the front suspension the Apex is a much more exciting sled to ride then Doo 4-tec and will handle fast turns just as well as a 1200. I put over 1,600 miles in Quebec last year on my Doo 1200 and preferred my uncles Apex. Back on Yamaha this year and the fun factor is back...

Back