• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2013 Apex pulls big train on skidoo etecs

BADSLED said:
jtssrx said:
everyone has an opinion. After years of riding yamaha's all I needed was one day on a doo to change mine. Anyone who says he can ride an apex the same way you can ride this doo is full of sht!!!!

I disagree with your statement. Out of the box the apex does not handle as well as it should. With some tuning to the front suspension the Apex is a much more exciting sled to ride then Doo 4-tec and will handle fast turns just as well as a 1200. I put over 1,600 miles in Quebec last year on my Doo 1200 and preferred my uncles Apex. Back on Yamaha this year and the fun factor is back...

There you have it.....It's a matter of personel taste and opinions!! ;)!

BADSLED said:
jtssrx said:
everyone has an opinion. After years of riding yamaha's all I needed was one day on a doo to change mine. Anyone who says he can ride an apex the same way you can ride this doo is full of sht!!!!

I disagree with your statement. Out of the box the apex does not handle as well as it should. With some tuning to the front suspension the Apex is a much more exciting sled to ride then Doo 4-tec and will handle fast turns just as well as a 1200. I put over 1,600 miles in Quebec last year on my Doo 1200 and preferred my uncles Apex. Back on Yamaha this year and the fun factor is back...

There you have it.....It's a matter of personal taste and opinions!!

BADSLED said:
jtssrx said:

I'm not on a 1200

jtsrx is right!... There is a reason why Yamaha has went with CAT to use their chasiss. One reason is because DOO would not lease or sell it to them and two, DOO does not need to. The Procross is a bad knock off of the DOO chassis. The REV and XP/XR chassis is the Game Changer!. No one has caught up yet. It takes alot of balls for faithfuls to try other brands, so I say good for Jason for trying something else.

SledFreak said:
jtsrx is right!... There is a reason why Yamaha has went with CAT to use their chasiss. One reason is because DOO would not lease or sell it to them and two, DOO does not need to. The Procross is a bad knock off of the DOO chassis. The REV and XP/XR chassis is the Game Changer!. No one has caught up yet. It takes alot of balls for faithfuls to try other brands, so I say good for Jason for trying something else.
It was my understanding that Cat came to Yamaha in search of engines.

Mad Russian said:
Who cares who rides what as long as your having fun doing it.... :sled1: :rocks: ;)!

That is absolutely right the season is short enough for most (I know there are some that can ride for 6 months or more). :Rockon:

Beside having more choices causes competition and then everyone wins. :Rockon:

Stop complaining and get out and ride. :Rockon:

Mighty said:
SledFreak said:
It was my understanding that Cat came to Yamaha in search of engines.
Your question would be answered when you ask yourself why doesn't Yamaha have any new chassis! It was a mutual agreement on both parts for motor, chassis trades. My point was they weren't getting the best chassis, the XP/XR chassis from DOO is the best out there, period and the sales reflect it.

Cat tried to copy the REV/XP chassis and are getting taken to court because of it. Just because they copied it does not mean its the same either...

Back to the Original Post... The etec 800 got its #*$&@ whipped on the road. The performance was pretty much the same for each other in trail conditions, but the trail manners will never be the same because the DOO sled is 150+lbs lighter, which makes the sled fun, easier to drive, handle better, etc....

The Apex is a fine piece of equipment, but its heavy. Plain and simple. If you are having fun on it, then so be it. The Reliability is there... No Question...

IMO, the battle is there between the 4 strokes classes... DOO now has a 60hp, 90hp and a 130hp 4 stroke sled. The release for a 160hp sled will come soon enough and when it does, it may be the breaking point for Yamaha or it will be a good battle between the 2. Just like in the PWC's and the ATV's. Only time will tell...

Mad Russian said:
Who cares who rides what as long as your having fun doing it.... :sled1: :rocks: ;)!

well I'll chime in...

when JTSRX owned the 2011 apex...he loved the sled...and was having a blast...in fact at that time I was on the z1 turbo which in the end became a much faster sled...but yet he definately was having more fun...

the russian does #*$&@ with his xtx ...well you got to see it ....he takes his youth and motorcross backround and hammers it...and what he siad to me is of greatest influence..."I cant trust any 2 stroke in the u.p.....the lower peninsula yes...thats where I know my apex will always get me back...never let me down"...the doo's to me ....well sure Id like to try one...but in the end....its the unknown and the $40+ gallons of oil etc...

look at the apex...it has the best fit and finish...it has the longest history (yes some consider this bad) to aid in refinement..its arguably the best groomed trail sled for high milers...gets amongst the better mileage for a top power sled..best belt life...

so for me...the apex edges out the more playful skidoo...its better built and better resale value down the road...costs less to run down the trail...and always gets me back...

**sj** said:
Mad Russian said:

well I'll chime in...

when JTSRX owned the 2011 apex...he loved the sled...and was having a blast...in fact at that time I was on the z1 turbo which in the end became a much faster sled...but yet he definately was having more fun...

the russian does poop with his xtx ...well you got to see it ....he takes his youth and motorcross backround and hammers it...and what he siad to me is of greatest influence..."I cant trust any 2 stroke in the u.p.....the lower peninsula yes...thats where I know my apex will always get me back...never let me down"...the doo's to me ....well sure Id like to try one...but in the end....its the unknown and the $40+ gallons of oil etc...

look at the apex...it has the best fit and finish...it has the longest history (yes some consider this bad) to aid in refinement..its arguably the best groomed trail sled for high milers...gets amongst the better mileage for a top power sled..best belt life...

so for me...the apex edges out the more playful skidoo...its better built and better resale value down the road...costs less to run down the trail...and always gets me back...

Well said!

I have to do more research on this so called ratio of "heavy" to "ride quality". How much does a doo weigh? maybe 400+pounds plus a 175 pound rider = 575 pounds. Apex maybe 600 pounds plus a 175 pound rider = 775

775 - 575 = 200 pounds difference.

Where is the scale or data that shows X weight = Y ride condition?

I drive my XTX in untouched 3 foot of snow logging trails all the time and have never had any problems what so ever. The 144 track does its job.

Apex XTX = 0 problems due to weight that I can tell at least.

Does anyone have a link to an article that explains this "heavy" problem? I also ride an old 1995 Cat two stoke, that thing reminds me of a Sherman tank when I ride it compared to the apex.

I am just saying I don't get it, where is the data? I am not saying it isn't true I just don't get it because I don't have any problems what so ever in deep snow with 160HP and power steering.

It's not just weight it's were the weight sits. I road the procross turbo and an apex xtx back to back. the procrossis only 65 pounds lighter then the apex xtx. Let me tell you the procross turbo felt 200 pounds lighter.

Weight is important to a point, but also consider the old F8 chassis to a Nytro. Weight probably close, Nytro lighter I would guess. You look at ride quality, handling, and even your "playfulness" the F8 is probably better.

In some settings weight is very important, others not so much. I have been on trails where my Attak is SO much better than a Doo it isn't even close, also been in situations where I would give anything to be on an 03 Rev and I feel like my sled purposely wants me to kill myself.

Back