• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2014 Viper oil tank upgrade?

Glen1027

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha SR Viper XTX
Can us 2014 viper owners upgrade our oil tanks to the 2015 oil tanks? I have heard that the 2015 oil tank has better baffling to allow the sled to be tipped on its side.

The part numbers haven't been released yet as far as I know. It may be possible to add the baffle to the 2014 tank though, if not I would think that the tanks would interchange.
The purpose of the baffle along with the additional oil capacity (dip stick instead of slight glass) is to improve the oil supply to the oil pump pick up port when the sled goes vertical. For example on long steep climbs and/or boosted sleds that can spend a fair amount of time with the ski's high in the air!

Last edited:
This is the first I have heard of this change to the 2015's. Anyone have a link to earlier discussion about this?

I have one here at work for my machine I think it holds another 400cc of oil to help with the engine "studder" when going up a steep hill..... the low oil sensor has been changed from 5 sec to 10 sec for "d-rateing" the engine.
The kit consists of a bigger oil tank, dip stick, o-ring and baffle .

This was not sold as a kit but the pat numbers were supplied all together
8JPF17511000 OIL TANK
8KGE53620000 DIPSTICK W/ O-RING
8KGF29440000 BAFFLE PLATE
8JPF41671000 STRAINER

So why didn't they put this on all 2015 if it's away better design?hello can you say update the earlier production sleds please

[QUOTIDIAN kon yamaha, pst: 118sam6, member: 9093"]I have one here at work for my machine I think it holds another 400cc of oil to help with the engine "studder" when going up a steep hill..... the low oil sensor has been changed from 5 sec to 10 sec for "d-rateing" the engine.
The kit consists of a bigger oil tank, dip stick, o-ring and baffle .

[/QUOTE]
I was told the oil tank is the same actually size, and the only difference between the 2 tanks is the sight glass. Of course the new style has the new baffle added that you can see if you look into the tank and the new pickup screen in the bottom. We have two 2015's , one with dipstick and one with a sight glass. I can tell you the Dipstick does not reach down to where the sight glass would be located to fill oil to the proper level which explains the 400cc extra oil. Correct me if I am wrong but can you just add the other parts and keep the original sight glass tank if you upgrade it?

This is right off the Yamaha page for the tank info

"Parts Required for Installation of Increased Capacity Oil Tank

Parts required to upgrade 2014 and 2015 SRViper models to the new larger capacity oil tank are now in
stock. Refer to this bulletin to service customers who have units with the original smaller capacity oil tank
and wish to convert their unit. The larger capacity tank, plus new
baffle and strainer allow improved oil flow during aggressive-type riding."
"
After the modification the customer can still order the same oil change kit (e.g. SMB-OILCH-KT-04) but an
oil change (with filter change) will require approximately 3.3 liters."

upload_2014-11-26_14-5-24.png

This is right off the Yamaha page for the tank info

"Parts Required for Installation of Increased Capacity Oil Tank

Parts required to upgrade 2014 and 2015 SRViper models to the new larger capacity oil tank are now in
stock. Refer to this bulletin to service customers who have units with the original smaller capacity oil tank
and wish to convert their unit. The larger capacity tank, plus new
baffle and strainer allow improved oil flow during aggressive-type riding."
"
After the modification the customer can still order the same oil change kit (e.g. SMB-OILCH-KT-04) but an
oil change (with filter change) will require approximately 3.3 liters."

View attachment 101471
I wonder what they consider aggressive-type riding? Should this be a must upgrade?

I wonder what they consider aggressive-type riding? Should this be a must upgrade?

Does your sled end up on its side or rolled in the powder? extreme hill climbing? Side hilling or carving? This is all aggressive riding when the sled is tiped and turned. I would say if you mostly a trail rider this new oil tank would not be beneficial but if you play in the deep and steep then it's a must.

Back