• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2024 Prototypes and Spy Photos

biffdotorg

VIP Member
Website
www.biff.org
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Apex XTX and Viper LTX SE
WEBSITE
www.biff.org
It's quite obvious that most of us have come to the realization that we are going to be happy with our sled of choice that is sitting currently on the trailer. As there is not even a buzz or rumor thread in the last couple weeks of January 2023.

Obviously cat made a few waves by leaking info about their 2024 platform early, as they needed to. Ditch Pickle lovers were losing faith that cat would ever release another new chassis. And it's not like Doo and Polaris don't have their 2024 to this stage as well. They just have not had the need to pull the wraps off of them yet. Of course it would piss off all their 2023 snow check buyers that have yet to take delivery of their new sleds. (now trickling into dealers)

So is it safe to assume we may see BNG until cat revises the Catalyst for a four stroke in 2025? I would bet we may see some blue decaled catalyst sleds with 0% Yamaha DNA. That's highly likely. Smart shocks and EPS for more models may be a safe assumption as well. Possibly more use of the advanced displays too.

2.5 months or so till Spring Power Surge, let the rumors begin.

It appears in recent years that Yamaha is really letting the Viper die out. Cat no longer offers the 7000. I'm hoping while cat was working on the catalyst platform Yamaha was busy making a viper replacement motor that fits the new chassis. Beings they did not offer EPS on Viper yet also leads me to believe it will get replaced sooner than later. Probably wishful thinking but still hopeful! Still waiting on my new polaris 4 stroke to try out this winter. Figure I better get familiar with that chassis in case the 998 turbo in a Polaris rumors end up true....

I'm actually surprised the viper never got transitioned to an NA version of the winder motor if anything for standardization.

Of all the BNG in the 2023 lineup, that bronze/black/gold color combo is amazing in person. I saw the latest video on Upstate Blake's channel and they took delivery of a Viper in the color. It was amazing for sure.

Yamaha has proven time and again, that they will not change things just for the sake of change. We all know that refinements over years is the Yamaha way. The Viper/Winder platform really has been refined to the point that customers truly are just looking for a change. AC will not let that new platform go longer than one model year without shoe-horning an 800 in there. So let's just hope they are working on a four stroke as well. My guess is the 800 may be a late release or mid year.

"Yamaha has proven time and again, that they will not change things just for the sake of change. We all know that refinements over years is the Yamaha Japanese way. The Viper/Winder platform really has been refined to the point that customers truly are just looking for a change. AC will not let that new platform go longer than one model year without shoe-horning an 800 in there. So let's just hope they are working on a four stroke as well. My guess is the 800 may be a late release or mid year."

Its an important distinction to understand that despite the progress what NA Yamaha or even Cat may look for, the Japanese culture is dogmatic in its incremental approach to improvement. Look at Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki in MotoGP as an example.

The 800 isn't much of a shoehorn for any of the manufacturers as they tend to share components with the 600. My guess is that building a reliable 800 class turbo or 900 with enough improvements to be competitive is a bit more of a reach.

The only thing that could boost the Viper sales would be to bump the displacement to 1200cc so it could hang with 850's, or at least be very close to them.
Or put the Apex engine in. However, I don't see either happening.

I understand Yamaha has been all 4 stroke for some time now.. Just cant seem to understand why they wouldn't make a 2 smoke again? They are a engine manufacturer for sleds . They are not a sled manufacturer anymore. Not a cut > just stating the obvious.. So if your just providing engines why not a 2 smoke anymore? Hell they have old stuff on the shelf that probably runs better then any Cat manufactured motor?

The only thing that could boost the Viper sales would be to bump the displacement to 1200cc so it could hang with 850's, or at least be very close to them.
Or put the Apex engine in. However, I don't see either happening.
Why does it have to hang with 850's? I've always felt the 135hp class was a nice sweet spot for alot of trail riders. Sure HP is fun, but at the end of the day I personally still fall back on the efi 3 cylinder controlled by Jap ecu as my favorite all around motor for reliability, fuel mileage and simplicity.

Why does it have to hang with 850's? I've always felt the 135hp class was a nice sweet spot for alot of trail riders. Sure HP is fun, but at the end of the day I personally still fall back on the efi 3 cylinder controlled by Jap ecu as my favorite all around motor for reliability, fuel mileage and simplicity.
It isn't selling in numbers right now the way it is.

In this era of turbo sleds all Yamaha has to do is produce a 150 HP turbo trail sled and it will sell like hot cakes. Look at Doo's 900T, it's there most popular sled by far. What would be even sweeter is if they could do that with a 2-cylinder 4 stroke motor and turbo.... sign me up!

It isn't selling in numbers right now the way it is.

I agree. I have been gobsmacked they have let the 7000 go and the viper fizzle.
Yamaha with their lack of attention to detail on the Viper - specifically - the ecu - turned a lot of old and new buyers off of 4st and they likely all went to doo. That 130 hp segment is still a huge seller.

Was in a BRP showroom last week and it was chuck full of sleds, all assembled for the buyers to pick up. 3/4 were 600’s.

MS

130 horsepower naturally aspirated, 170 hp turbocharged trail cruiser, 200 horsepower lake racer, all with the 998. All could be in the same platform, all can be based off the 998, but I don't think Yamaha & Arctic Cat will last unfortunately. POO & DOO are constantly pushing the envelope & Cat & Yammy are falling too far behind.

Yamaha with their lack of attention to detail on the Viper - specifically - the ecu - turned a lot of old and new buyers off of 4st and they likely all went to doo. That 130 hp segment is still a huge seller.

Was in a BRP showroom last week and it was chuck full of sleds, all assembled for the buyers to pick up. 3/4 were 600’s.

MS
Going to the 998 NA would save the tariff cost(which could lower retail price) and lower most insurance premiums. However, it would lose about 10HP.
I'm not convinced that would do anything for sales. Remember when Yamaha offered a 98 and 99 SRX 600 but then dropped it as there was just no point in having it in the line up. In my area most have moved on from 600's and onto 850's. It's just a natural progression.
Again, I think there would be a market for a juiced up Viper like I described in my earlier post.

the efi 3 cylinder controlled by Jap ecu
I couldn't agree more, the Yamaha platform with the Japanese ecu ran much stronger then AC's ecu in the procross chassis.

Going to the 998 NA would save the tariff cost(which could lower retail price) and lower most insurance premiums. However, it would lose about 10HP.
I'm not convinced that would do anything for sales. Remember when Yamaha offered a 98 and 99 SRX 600 but then dropped it as there was just no point in having it in the line up. In my area most have moved on from 600's and onto 850's. It's just a natural progression.
Again, I think there would be a market for a juiced up Viper like I described in my earlier post.

But if they go to a juiced up Viper motor it'll cost more, it would take a 8mm jump in stroke to get towards 1200cc and there's not alot of room in the engine case for more rod clearance. Now a juiced up NA 998 motor could work as well. Putting 12:1 compression in it, better cams, etc could probably get it into the 150-155 hp range, but again it'd come with a price increase for production.

130 horsepower naturally aspirated, 170 hp turbocharged trail cruiser, 200 horsepower lake racer, all with the 998. All could be in the same platform, all can be based off the 998, but I don't think Yamaha & Arctic Cat will last unfortunately. POO & DOO are constantly pushing the envelope & Cat & Yammy are falling too far behind.
But that would make way too much business sense! (seadoo spark)

That would be the perfect way to make the catalyst a good all around platform. Multiple engine options, and potentially a couple only based on tune and clutching. A couple suspension options and start pounding them through the plant so that there is stock to sell.

Back