• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ALL NYTRO HANDWARMER POLL???

HOW DID YOUR NYTRO HANDWARMERS WORK?

• VERY GOOD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OK - ON DAYS COLDER THAN 15

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • OK - ON DAYS WARMER THAN 15

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • VERY BAD

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
I'm on my second season with a 2010 XTX. First season warmers worked great all winter. Second season the right hand warmer went out on the second ride of the season. Dropped it at the dealer for the week and had the right warmer replaced under warranty. Very next ride the left warmer went out @#$@%. Again replaced under warranty. The replacement warmers do not feel like they get anywhere near as warm as the originals. Not sure if they changed suppliers for replacement parts, but I have had many days of riding this year where my hands are now cold, which I never experienced all season last year.

well>>>

First of all im pissed, season 2, sled has 600 miles, and my left grip is out. warranty is over. right one burns my hand!

second, alot of people dont quite realize, that the older yamaha 2 stroke sleds(srx,viper) had AC powered handwarmers. this is why they got so hot, and also why if you tap the wrong wires for a heated shield, the sled dies when u plug the shield in!

Mine are decent anytime above 0*f, but it helps that I have the mid height windshield (stock) as opposed to the flyscreen on the RTX. Definitely better than my friend's 08 Nytro. On a normal day I only have them at around 2-3 bars.

Re: well>>>

Groomer08 said:
alot of people dont quite realize, that the older yamaha 2 stroke sleds(srx,viper) had AC powered handwarmers. this is why they got so hot, and also why if you tap the wrong wires for a heated shield, the sled dies when u plug the shield in!

Not meaning to contradict you personally Groomer08, just want to clear up some mis-perceptions for everyone. : )

Your grips do not care of they run off AC or DC, as long as they get enough power, they will get warm.
The SRX/Vipers got warm because they were sent enough power.
(The SRXs & Vipers both had/have DC systems)

Technically, with an AC & a DC power (filtered) of the same voltage, the DC voltage will always deliver more power because it never turns off, like AC does.
If the DC voltage is simply rectified & not filtered, it will deliver the exact same power as a regulated AC voltage.
(With the type of regulators used on our sleds.)

If you tap the wrong wires on any sled/vehicle, you can cause the vehicle to die when you plug in the shield, no matter the power system type.

Hope this helps!

Rock :-o

I have a 2010 XTX and from day one they simply sucked! Right side quit. Rock hooked me up with a Yamaheater and helped me out over the phone at 10 oclock in the evening to get my new heater elements installed and its been all good since then! Can't say enough about the service he puts behind his product! I just ordered his HID light kit from him. :-o

can anyone tell me the correct resistance of a stock grip?
my side that doesnt work says 60k ohms, and the side that cooks my hand is 6.7 ohms.
kinda wondering if its the one thats 6.7ohms thats got a fried circuit?
im getting no code on the gauges, and the dealer says i should be getting one.
was wondering if the low resistance on one side was making the other not work.(parelel system, less resistance)
my right one is low resistance(common failure)
left one is high(kinda uncommon to fail,but its not getting warm)

Hi Groomer,

This isn't really the Thread for this, however I am posting the answers to your questions for you.
(Mods feel free to put this where it belongs.)

Answers in RED below.

Groomer08 said:
Usually 7 to 8 Ohms Per Grip.
my side that doesnt work says 60k ohms, and the side that cooks my hand is 6.7 ohms.
No, this grip is ok.
No, the total resistance is still low enough to NOT give you a code.
was wondering if the low resistance on one side was making the other not work.(parelel system, less resistance)
No, one grip simply failed and is open(or near open), and doesn't heat anymore.
(Odds are, the 60K you measured, was the resistance of your fingers.)

Most grips fail as an Open(High Resistance)
The one that has high resistance has failed.

You can simply replace the failed grip, however, I really doubt you will be happy with it.
Reason is, the remaining working grip is lower resistance than you normally see stock, and therefore that grip will most likely be much warmer than the replacement element.
(It is normal for there to be a difference from one grip to the other, but not THAT much difference.)
To make them balanced again, would suggest replacing both grips at the same time.

You can use one of the RSI "update" kits from Yamaha, it includes the grips, heating elements, glue, etc, everything required to fix it.

(FYI: Not trying to sell you anything here, however I have one Yamaha "update" kit left in stock, that already has the factory ends on the grip wiring so they plug right in, no wiring required.)

Any Yamaha dealer can get them for you & the cost is usually about the same as just one stock heater element.
You will have to wire the ends with the kit directly from Yamaha.

Feel free to PM me or ask any other questions you may have.

Hope this helps!

Rockmeister said:
Hi Groomer,

This isn't really the Thread for this, however I am posting the answers to your questions for you.
(Mods feel free to put this where it belongs.)

Answers in RED below.

Groomer08 said:
Usually 7 to 8 Ohms Per Grip.
No, this grip is ok.
No, the total resistance is still low enough to NOT give you a code.
No, one grip simply failed and is open(or near open), and doesn't heat anymore.
(Odds are, the 60K you measured, was the resistance of your fingers.)

Most grips fail as an Open(High Resistance)
The one that has high resistance has failed.

You can simply replace the failed grip, however, I really doubt you will be happy with it.
Reason is, the remaining working grip is lower resistance than you normally see stock, and therefore that grip will most likely be much warmer than the replacement element.
(It is normal for there to be a difference from one grip to the other, but not THAT much difference.)
To make them balanced again, would suggest replacing both grips at the same time.

You can use one of the RSI "update" kits from Yamaha, it includes the grips, heating elements, glue, etc, everything required to fix it.

(FYI: Not trying to sell you anything here, however I have one Yamaha "update" kit left in stock, that already has the factory ends on the grip wiring so they plug right in, no wiring required.)

Any Yamaha dealer can get them for you & the cost is usually about the same as just one stock heater element.
You will have to wire the ends with the kit directly from Yamaha.

Feel free to PM me or ask any other questions you may have.

Hope this helps!

Why does Yamaha "sell" a "updated kit" in the first place? To me it's a little underhanded to be selling aftermarket gear that is mandatory or required in the first place. Don't get me wrong I love my machine but I cant say the same for the YAMAHA corp. I'm not sure if they realize the impact of "word of mouth" either....

I wonder if some are warmer than others or some people have better blood flow than others? Anyway, when I purchased my 09 (leftover) in March of last year I mentioned I was a little concerned about the warmers. The service mgr. told me to bring in in the fall and he would put on a kit fer $50. I didn't take it in until after about 1200 miles because my hands never got cold until I rode in -26c which is -15.

When I went to pick it up he told me no charge!!! It pays to have a good dealer. I had it out yesterday in -24c and on high they were hot. turned them down to 1/2 and just right.

I wish the dealers were a little more consistent. I told mine about it and he was more than willing to sell me a set of RSI's which they so convientantly had in stock! I'm sleding in around -15-30C and have gone from some expensive Klim gloves to my old leather gauntlets that I've owned for about 15 years. It just irks the bee jeezus out of me that Yamaha and the dealers know about the shortcomings and all they do is stock these little diddies so they can ca$h in on extras. It's total BS!!

I have a 2011 xtx. I find the grips an get very warm, it just takes a few minutes. Also I have to be travelling at a reasonable speed or they don't warm up.

When your hands are cold it doesn't seem intuitive to go faster to get your hands warmer. Yesterday morning it was -22C (single digit temperature in deg F) and my fingers were freezing as I waited for the grips to warm up. I stopped the sled took off my gloves and warmed my hands in the exhaust. After that I was fine.

My 07 phazer was the same way. The got hot, it just took a while.

Okay but after installing the Yamaheater, extremely satisfied! ;)!

2011's

It is seeming as though the issue may have gotten fixed on the 2011's I was out the other day at 10 degrees and my hands were ROCKIN' HOT!

I have an '09 RTX and the stock warmers were TERRIBLE even after the dealer updated them with the factory kits.

I installed the YamaHeater and (excuse the pun) now they ROCK! Best $$$ I spent! Why they are so bad from the factory is beyond me and Yamaha should fix this on such an expensive sled!

I thought they were good until I rode my daughters 1990 Inviter the other day. Hers make mine look stupid. No comparision...?

Back