• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Am I going to need a purse to ride my XTX?!?

Outlander

Veteran
Yesterday I was very excited to get out for my first ride on the XTX. I trailered it half an hour out of the city for a shake down ride on a lake and trails.

I took the cover off, put the key in and could only get it to turn to the on position. Needless to say, I was very happy to be at the same point with an '09 'state of the art' sled that I so often found myself in way back in the day with the electric start on a '70 Panther.

I covered it back up, trailered it back home, ran an extension cord out and borrowed my daughter's hair dryer to heat up the ignition switch. Ta-da. The key would turn all the way to start the sled and I was able to successfully ride around my house twice. (Sorry, no exciting details or first ride report. All I can offer is that it handles much differently than the lawn mower I use on the same course).

So my question is this, if I need to pack a hair dryer, what other toiletries will I need to bring along to address other potential trail side problems?

My wife doesn't take a purse when she rides hers so she'd have to ask me to borrow a lighter to heat the key so the switch would thaw. ;)!

key

I had this happen to me when we were camping in the adirondacks (very cold temps). I cupped my hands around the ignition, took a few hot breaths into my hands and the problem was solved.

Sounds silly, but I carry a small can of lock deicer in my tank bag. Works on ignition, trailer locks, or the truck when returning from a ride. Try it, ya might like it LOL!!

I always carry a can of isopropyl in the truck for trailer door locks and to deice the mirror extender arms. I have more in the trailer for sleds. Not just for fuel additive but to deice throttles, chokes, etc.

I've been in the door hardware business for all my adult life. A locksmith will tell you to NOT use WD40 in key cylinders. At least that's the word up here in the frozen north. However, WD40 makes excellent starter fluid when its about -45.

stewartb said:
I always carry a can of isopropyl in the truck for trailer door locks and to deice the mirror extender arms. I have more in the trailer for sleds. Not just for fuel additive but to deice throttles, chokes, etc.

I've been in the door hardware business for all my adult life. A locksmith will tell you to NOT use WD40 in key cylinders. At least that's the word up here in the frozen north. However, WD40 makes excellent starter fluid when its about -45.

Starter fluid,,,Really,,,,,,,,,l

I guess the starter fluid application only applies to sleds you can take the plugs out of, or are willing to take the plugs out of at -45!

Now that I'm past that little obstacle here's a photo from today's ride.

Attachments

• fx_Nytro_sunsetNewYears.jpg
    fx_Nytro_sunsetNewYears.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 57
Here's another one with Miss January's bra on the handlebars. Seriously dudes, I'm going to have to start referring to this sled as a "she".

Attachments

• fx_Nytro_sunsetNewYears2.jpg
    fx_Nytro_sunsetNewYears2.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 66
Looking at the sunset photo made me realize that I now have more pictures of my sleds than I do of my kids.

Back