• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone done a valve adjustment on a 2016 Vector?

JasonR

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 Vector XTX LE 1.75
Anyone following my other thread on my machine's idling issues has seen that the problem has been located. The exhaust valves are out of adjustment and being held partially open which is causing the issue.

According to one Yamaha dealer this is a 14 hour job, and the other dealer is saying it is only a 6 hour job.

Of course the one who is paying for the repair is the one who is saying it only pays 6 hours.

Curious if there are any Techs on here that have actually done the job that could weigh in.

The technician from the local dealer that quoted 14 hours thinks he remembers the job taking about 10 hours but it has been a while so he wasn't sure.

Anyone following my other thread on my machine's idling issues has seen that the problem has been located. The exhaust valves are out of adjustment and being held partially open which is causing the issue.

According to one Yamaha dealer this is a 14 hour job, and the other dealer is saying it is only a 6 hour job.

Of course the one who is paying for the repair is the one who is saying it only pays 6 hours.

Curious if there are any Techs on here that have actually done the job that could weigh in.

The technician from the local dealer that quoted 14 hours thinks he remembers the job taking about 10 hours but it has been a while so he wasn't sure.

It would take me 8 to 10 hrs.

Sounds like putting a head gasket on current Diesel trucks. They have to lift the cab off the frame. WTF! I used to be a factory trained. Powerstroke technician. 10 years out of the trade. The first time I walked into a Ford dealer and saw the cab in the sky. I asked the tech what are you doing. Head Gaskets he replied. I said I will never buy one of these trucks. Lol. The new vehicles are impressive. Our sleds included. But there is no thought by engineering on serviceability.

Take the worst engineers you can find, and get them to design vehicles!
They visually look nice, and are financially nice to the garages!

Sounds like putting a head gasket on current Diesel trucks. They have to lift the cab off the frame. WTF! I used to be a factory trained. Powerstroke technician. 10 years out of the trade. The first time I walked into a Ford dealer and saw the cab in the sky. I asked the tech what are you doing. Head Gaskets he replied. I said I will never buy one of these trucks. Lol. The new vehicles are impressive. Our sleds included. But there is no thought by engineering on serviceability.
Cabs are made to be easily removed now a days. Really saves on the old body so much easier to work on. Even the gas trucks get cabs pulled for engine R&R

The yamaha tech told me he has only done a handful over all the years the 1049 has been out.

Valve adjustment is done and the sled runs like a champ... Did just over 300KM today and it ran flawlessly.

Have.had a couple of stone cold starts without issue as well.

How many miles are in the sled? I just turned 10k last weekend and was thinking I should check the clearances over the summer. I’m not sure on the likes recommendations to adjust them. I’ve done them in my Yamaha street bikes before. I should add that I don’t have odd issues the sled runs very well.

They are all way to complicated!!

They should offer better/longer warranties, with curbside pickup.

Your new car dies, which is the same price, and they come and get it. The car has a 3 year warranty though, the sled, basically nothing!

And then you have to get it to the dealer, out of the woods, what have you.

They have a pretty good gig, and we idiots keep buying them.

They are all way to complicated!!

They should offer better/longer warranties, with curbside pickup.

Your new car dies, which is the same price, and they come and get it. The car has a 3 year warranty though, the sled, basically nothing!

And then you have to get it to the dealer, out of the woods, what have you.

They have a pretty good gig, and we idiots keep buying them.

That may be true for some dealers but the SM Spprt in Quebec City were amazing!
Stood behind their product well after the factory warranty was over and even allowed me to have it fixed at a local shop while they covered the cost.

Other than trail.side assistance, not sure what else I could expect. Lol

I used to be a Honda technician. But have worked on many Japanese motors over the years. Never had to shim to do valve adjustments. Just needed a feeler gauge, a wrench and a flathead screwdriver! Times have sure changed. P. S. Back then I only heard of Volkswagen motors needing shims to adjust valves. What happened? Did they really cause this just to save a few bucks on hardware? That’s a dam shame in my opinion. I am not flexing my muscles on here . I am so impressed. With the knowledge on here. Best technical info I have received on the web. On anything I own! Wish I could have had this support when my oldest son was born with his arteries backwards! Sorry that was before somebody invented the internet!

Last edited:

Back