• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex xtx bulkhead damage

IMG_20150112_171527985.jpg
Hey guys,I was the unfortunate one to have a confrontation with a tree this weekend while riding my sled.My first trip out with my new sled coming back from Tug Hill Ny riding some goat trail not groomed{total bump fest}I somehow managed to encounter a water hole I tried to avoid by going around and the rear of the sled took a sharp right turn from under me causing me to shoot right into the path of a tree causing some extensive from end damage to the front end.It took a hard solid hit crushing all the plastics and the cast aluminum bulked has a nice crack in it.Luckily I do have full insurance coverage on the sled just waiting to hear from a adjuster soon.My question is if the sled is repairable,if its not considered totaled,is how difficult is the bulkhead to replace and approximate cost of new one ,Also any other areas to be concerned with to check for other chassis damage I might not fore see.Any information would be great and appreciated

Its a pretty big job but I have done several and you do not need to pull the motor to do them... if you have to get one new its crazy expensive but there are guys that sell them for half the cost. Check the classifieds.

Its a pretty big job but I have done several and you do not need to pull the motor to do them... if you have to get one new its crazy expensive but there are guys that sell them for half the cost. Check the classifieds.
Whats the approximate time frame to do this job from start to finish without beer breaks.

Hopefully on my part the insurance company will be generous,otherwise I am going to be up shits creek without a paddle for some time as the nightmare is about to begin for me. Thanks for the information.

depending on how bad and where the damage is, you may be able to repair it with the bulkhead repair kit that barn-of-parts (hibshman25) makes, there are you tube videos showing an install of some of them if you look them up. Send him a PM or call him and he could help you.

What about all the EPS electronics in the nose cone area? Isn't that what all the additional items are up there in the new models? I suppose you won't know if it's bad until you get everything else in place.

Tough one bud, sorry for the loss.

What about all the EPS electronics in the nose cone area? Isn't that what all the additional items are up there in the new models? I suppose you won't know if it's bad until you get everything else in place.

Tough one bud, sorry for the loss.
I have not attempted as of yet to dissassemble machine to dig into it any further to see for further damage,although one of the modules did sustain damage as well as cracked bulkhead,waiting on word from insurance adjuster on what my next steps will be.This was its first trip out since I bought it as a new leftover in October and the season just begun and now this happens.On a brighter note at least I am ok .The sled an be fixed or replaced.

Thats a bummer!

Did it on mine couple years ago but its an 06 that has 2 halfs on bulkhead,a left and a right.its not too bad but i wouldnt want to do another one! revits you have to drill out and replace ,steering moved up front etc etc.took me 2.5 days to do cause it was my first one. look it over real good ,your going to probably need a-arms on the right,new oilite bushings on a-arms ,check sway bar,tie rods and ends,front shock maybe bent,bottom of sled banged up also,bent bolts ,oil tank took a whack too probably..mine did .

You DO NOT have to pull engine ! and i found all my parts off Craigslist cheap! put some $$ in my pocket too! i will always have ins.

had a buddy do this to his 11 XTX last year it costed 7500 to fix they valued the sled at 11000 so they fixed it took for ever because of waiting on some parts from yamaha back order.

did you drive it after that did the eps work still

I have not attempted as of yet to dissassemble machine to dig into it any further to see for further damage,although one of the modules did sustain damage as well as cracked bulkhead,waiting on word from insurance adjuster on what my next steps will be.This was its first trip out since I bought it as a new leftover in October and the season just begun and now this happens.On a brighter note at least I am ok .The sled an be fixed or replaced.
I have not began to disassemble the front end as of yet anyhow as I am still waiting word from insurance company on what my next steps will be or what to do.Are there any other critical area I should be aware of to check for damage before claims process begins ?I am positive bulkhead is cracked in few places and will need replacement if they allow to go that route or just total sled.What is a estimate cost of a new bulkhead for this sled from Yamaha ????Anyone know ???

Back