• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Battery Jumper Cables

I have the MPI jumper cables. They work just fine. The wires didn't heat up or melt. Then again, it was -40 degrees outside and nothing heated up.LOL

We were in West Yellowstone two years ago and it was COLD in the mornings (-35 to -45 every morning). I went out and tried to start the TRX-1. It fired and died several times. I cranked a few more seconds and could tell that it wasn't spinning fast enough. After pulling our arms out of the sockets, we got the 2-strokers started and I put the charging cable from one sled to mine. We let them sit for 30 seconds idling and I cranked mine. It fired right off.

I installed an in-line anti-freeze warmer to help on those super cold mornings. Way easier on the engine. Just plug it in for a half-hour and the block gets nice and toasty.

I think the main thing to remember hear is that if your pluging into the headlight assembly of another sled or if you are using anything other than the jumper lead that are on the sled what you wnat to do is charge the battery not jump start it. Meaning plug it in however you system allows you to and sit back and wait a little bit for the battery to "charge" off the other one. If you try to jump imediatly you likely will end up blowing fuses or melting wires. Wires that are sized for 20-30 amp can't handle 50-100 cranking amps. Now you would be stuck with a sled that won't start and one with smoked wiring or blow fuses. :o| :o| I'm sure some will say they've jumped no problem, but me I'll take the wait approach. The cost of the new battery is enough I don't want to be buying wire harnesses as well.

Re: jumper cables

APEXMAN said:
Hi all yama dudes i was just looking around the other night at canadian tire in canada and i found a neice little pair they even come in a little bag i would say about 6 gauge and8 feet long i think i paid somewhere around $ 20.00 bucks 4 them there awesome and at that rate it would be a waste of time making your own up i think anyway .......

Those are the ones I bought as well.

I built my own....but that shouldnt be suprising.

Any auto store has clamps and wires. I got the heavy wire that was like a coil. Fits right up in the windshield bag.

Cost was around $10.00 but they dont take up any room and weight in at almost nothing..... :Rockon:

I cant remember what the wires were rated, but have used it to cold start quads. Charge my turbo sled from the truck and jump a couple electrical issues on different things. O ya, they extended out 8'

Attachments

• 100_0970.jpg
    100_0970.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 108
Thanks, all the cables I have looked at are just too big. These fit in the small pocket in the saddle bag.

They get a little warm when using them to cold start the turbo rx1, but did anyway off the truck a couple times.

Mine are made with small welding cable so they are heavier duty but being only 5 feet long I am able to pack them away. If I had to build another set I would follow what you did here. Great job!

Back