• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Belt Slip XTX

Daranello

Suspended
Yesterday, riding in -25c weather xing a snowbank at the creast i slowed to make sure there was no cars or trucks, as I hit the gas again the clutch slipped, I let off the throttle immidiatly but it was too late the RPMs raced to 7500 and to sled let off sninky belt smoke.....

latter in the day we were playing in a bowl and doing some hill climbs and again I was experiencing belt slip again, but not as bad.

My Attak never ever slipped,

when I got home I looked at the belt and its didnt look flat spoted, so I'm guessing that the secondary slipped and not the primary, espectialy the fact that I didnt ease into the trottle.

So whats the problem guys??? the sled only has 250miles and yes I broke in the belt and washed the belt before install

Bamboo said:
Broke in the belt?? Wha?? How does one break in a belt???

Every new belt needs to be seated to the clutch faces. To accomplish this, it is recommends that you run your sled for the first 30 miles at half throttle or less. This will allow the belt to conform to the angle of the sheaves, producing more surface contact thus enabling the belt to transfer the most horsepower at the highest efficiency

Depending on how deep of snow you were in, a small ammount of snow could have made its way to the belt area and gotten the sheaves wet? had that happen before...

nate007 said:
Depending on how deep of snow you were in, a small ammount of snow could have made its way to the belt area and gotten the sheaves wet? had that happen before...

that i know forsure didn't happen cause were just left a coffee shop to warm up and we were xing the parking lot (no snow) and the snowbank was hard like a rock

belt

If you had the sled sitting outside for a while and then you went across a parking lot with no snow, it probably was just a lot of a stress on a cold belt. My guess is that once you got the belt warmed up and were back on snow the slipping stopped. I have had my belts slip on 1st of the day trips across a powdery lake, once the belt warmed no problem.

Also if the clutches were cold there may have been some condensation on the secondary from sitting in the parking lot.

Your secondary clutch was probably stuck in a partially open position. happens a lot if your on & off the throttle or especially after a real quick stop.

If you got belt smoke chances are you got a flat spot somewhere. But Turk is right the secondary is wrapped tight and it sometimes stays open if you stop quick.

NB-NYTRO said:
If you got belt smoke chances are you got a flat spot somewhere. But Turk is right the secondary is wrapped tight and it sometimes stays open if you stop quick.

Yeap, it smoked like a 2 stroke at start up!

Back