• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Belt slipping as it gets more miles?

twyztid

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder LTX SE - TD Power Trail, CAI, 3" Super Quiet
2012 RS Vector
2006 Apex GT
Do belts glaze over as you get more miles on them? I finally have my clutching for my 15 Viper LTX MPI turbo spot on. I was having issues with hitting the rev limiter and a very hot secondary before. The first test ride I did after the changes was about 60 miles and the clutches were warm, but not hot by any means. This past weekend I was in Munising and put on almost 600 miles. I pulled the side cover off a few times and noticed that the outer sheave of the primary was just warm but the inner sheave, belt, and secondary were hot enough that I could only hold my finger on them for about 5 seconds. I had made no clutching changes. The belt is an 8JP length Gates Carbon.

When I say the clutching is spot on, it revs right to 8800-8850 on the throttle stab and will climb to 9100 at 102mph. Never hits the rev limiter at all any more. This is perfect in my mind other than the heat. I am running Supertips weights loaded to 76.8 grams, 14.8mm TP primary rollers, Dalton Red primary spring, Dalton 48/40 helix, and a TP Orange secondary spring wrapped at 30°. This setup is working well and the lower wrap of 40° or 30° was recommended by Thunder Products. I see no indications of the belt slipping (such as black marks) but it does have 1400 miles on it now. Do you think a new belt would help lower the belt & clutch temps or should I try wrapping the spring to 40°? If I wrap it tighter, I may hit the rev limiter again.

belts glaze and so can the clutch face cant be much slip though or i would thin you'd hit the limiter on initial stab

I think I am going to try deglazing both the clutches & the belt with a maroon scotchbrite pad before the next ride and see what happens. I'll also take a new belt if the deglazing doesn't do the trick.

Back