• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bought new trail tank, should I replace donuts?

Seth recommend the sealant after mine leaked. I sealed it and it's been in storage, so I haven't seen it since April. Stored in a basement at about 60f so I'm not sure it's a good test, we'll see how it does once riding is here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I bought the stainless steel bolts and the sealant, are these up grades required for the latest Trail tanks? Sorry to beat a dead horse just want all opinions, plus I'm bored need snow!

I assume they are insurance that we won't get leaks down the road. Sounds like some are not having issues and some are. I really just want to over build it and not have issues. We're the stainless bolts available at the hardware and standard sizes Twistgrip?

I assume they are insurance that we won't get leaks down the road. Sounds like some are not having issues and some are. I really just want to over build it and not have issues. We're the stainless bolts available at the hardware and standard sizes Twistgrip?
I just bought them at True Value Hardware. I just brought a bolt in, they matched it up I didn't pay attention. It has a allen head.

^^^ Do this. Just bring a bolt in and any hardware store can set you up with stronger bolts.

I've said this in the past, but will say it again, I don't remember if these bolts came with the trail tank or if they were reused from the stock tank (I'm going to guess they were reused OEM bolts). Either way, I'd read of numerous people who had bolt heads snap off, and then it happened to me as well, which is why I now recommend to everyone to upgrade to stronger bolts, very easy to swap out and better than springing a leak in the middle of nowhere. I was doused in gasolene by the time I got back to base camp when mine sprung a leak. Other than this I have not had any issues with my trail tank, having the extra few gallons for the long days is worth every penny.

As long as you tight the fuel pump bolts in a cris cross pattern in 3-4 stages the gasket should seal with no issues. But a little sealent wouldn't & give you some piece of mind. Did it on a buddys but not mine LOL. The reason some of the bolts could be breaking is over tightening with a 3/8 drive ratchet when 1/4 drive is all you need just my 2 cents.

Also agree copper gaskets while your in there.

I'll never say never, but I am pretty anal about not overtightening fasteners. That said, definitely possible.

Bought tank at haydays for $290, as far as bolts I just bought stainless steel from hardware store. Sled still on storage haven't installed yet.

Copper equast donuts are the equast gasgets at the point where your flex pipes join to the header, you absulutly should replace the factory gasgets to the copper ones since your removing your tank.

Back