• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Breaking in a new Apex

I broke mine in riding it like I stole it and 7500 miles later have had no issues and no oil usage. You will notice that it gets faster after about a thousand miles once everything wears in properly. Have fun!

Re: starting

gun nut said:
It's just amazing how many people don't know they have an owners manual, or are too stupid to read it.
The manual tells you how to break it in to be reliable. Not reliable and fast :home:

Mine is both reliable and fast. When I get my next new Yamaha sled I will break it in the same way.

Remember the motor is tight, lots or drag to the moving parts. Yami just says no prolonged throttle over 6,000 and later 8,000 rpm. It does not say no full throttle is just means don't hold it open for a 10 mile run across the lake or down the rail bed and no constant 6,000 or 8,000 running that can damage the rings. Fast, slow, vary the speeds and throttle!

The mototune link says the same thing you heat up the rings and back off and cool them down then heat it again. Repeat till broken in. Last thing you want to do with a tight new motor is pin it and hold it for long periods. The rings only take so much temperature and then they turn to soft crap that no longer seals as their temper is removed because of excessive heat.

Run it like you stole it still has limitations! But hey its your sled!

at about 900 miles on my apex and i am still varying the throttle a bit but that is the trails. first 150 miles all i did was vary it and that is hard to do on a ty ride as it is usually all nice long grades. heck my longest pull wot was this weekend on long lake. took me 10 min to get down the lake at 90mph!

I changed my oil and filter at 500 miles that is the only thing i did diffrent.

I'd never buy someone's sled that was broken in hard (motoman, stolen philosophy, etc...). Glad you're all letting me know publically for that time when you decide to sell in the classifieds.

jf

ecopter said:
I'd never buy someone's sled that was broken in hard (motoman, stolen philosophy, etc...). Glad you're all letting me know publically for that time when you decide to sell in the classifieds.

jf
I'm guessing you will never buy a newer vette. Do you know what they do to their engines before installed in the car??

Mighty said:
ecopter said:

jf
I'm guessing you will never buy a newer vette. Do you know what they do to their engines before installed in the car??

That's funny. Have you recently checked the owner's manual for the 2013 Corvette regarding engine break in?

ecopter said:
Mighty said:
ecopter said:

jf

That's funny. Have you recently checked the owner's manual for the 2013 Corvette regarding engine break in?
Every vette engine is run on a stand before being installed in the car. Several minutes with several high revs to be sure it's going to stay together

ecopter said:
Mighty said:
ecopter said:

jf

Every vette engine is run on a stand before being installed in the car. Several minutes with several high revs to be sure it's going to stay together

ecopter said:

jf

thats funny, cause id never buy one that was babied....motoman yes....stolen no....

Maybe, but there's still a manufacturer recommended break in procedure for the new owner. To the original poster, it's your toy....lots of different opinions, but only one which you can feel comfortable. Choose wisely grasshopper!

Daranello said:
ecopter said:

jf

thats funny, cause id never buy one that was babied....motoman yes....stolen no....

The exact reason I never never never buy used rec. vehicles.

Back