• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Buying 08 Nytro?? Want Advice

NytroBite20

Im thinking about picking up a used 08 with around 3500 miles for $5000. What should i be looking for on these sleds? Also rtx model or basic model found 2 that im interested in? I currently ride an 06 nytro and love the suspension in it. I also heard something about you should only buy newer than 08?? Any thoughts and input would be great

08's are just fine, the subframe is just a tad weaker, but you can weld in grizz's gussets, and it will be stronger than all other years. Front end geometry is different in 08, but not that bid of a deal, and if you add an aftermarket front end, all will be the same.

That said, check to see of front shocks are close to being centered in the upper a arms.

I bought an 08 3 years ago about this time. Did the guset kit and some other upgrades and it's a great sled. It had 4900 miles when I bought it and now I'm over 9000.

You'll love the change. My old man has a 06 Nytro and I have an 08. He gets me on the top end but the 08 is a blast to ride. There has been a lot of complaints, but I've had mine about 4 years and have almost 6k miles on it. I have had electrical issues, but I attribute that to the guy who owned it before me and never covering it up when he hauled it. The biggest thing is to get it set up how you like it. I have everything stock on the sled, minus studs and doolie carbides and absolutely love it.

Superman said:
Honestly I like the 08 front end geometry better than the 09-14's. You can do some research but I'm not the only guy out there that will tell you this. It's a personal
preference thing. I think the handling on the 08's is sharper, more precise and when set up right has lighter steering effort.

I agree. Because Yamaha made a change in 09 most people think that all the 08's are inferior and very few people actually spent time on both. If the 09+ geometry is so much better why are there so many options for aftermarket spindles and a-arms. I was very happy with my 08 performance compared to the newer Nytro's that I've ridden. Recently I had an accident that destroyed the 08 a-arms and one of the spindle so I'm going to give the new 43" Moutaintech a-arms with 09+ spindles a try. Installation is almost complete and I'm heading up to Tug Hill /Old Forge NY area Thursday to do some testing.

Damn that looks skippy Grizz! Anticipating your comments/review.

The only person Id advise to ride a 08 nytro is my worst enemy. They are by leaps and bounds the absolute worst handling sled I have ever rode. The one I had was mint with dual carbides and the rubber mount reversed like people advise and fox shocks setup by an actual shop. I cringed at every single turn on it and couldn't sell it quick enough. I rode 2 other 08s also and same piss poor handling.

Im generally a pack leader on sleds/motorcycles so im not a sissy by any means either. On the 08 I found myself at the back of the pack struggling to even keep the rest of the pack in sight through the twisty wooded areas. I couldnt keep up if someone had a gun to my head. No exaggeration.

08s just either push hard through the turns or have inner ski lift no matter how much you throw your body around to try and avoid.

If all you do is ride straight lines a 08 will work just fine for you.

Get a 2009 or newer with aftermarket skis at the very least. They are actually enjoyable to ride.

Im not bashing Nytros either, Ive had a 08 and 09's. Just my experience and opinion and im sure many guys with the 2009 or even better a 2010 would agree with me.

The 08 are good, get some hygear slicast a arms and an oft racing relocate. I never tweaked my subframe, lucky one I guess.

newbb said:
The only person Id advise to ride a 08 nytro is my worst enemy. They are by leaps and bounds the absolute worst handling sled I have ever rode. The one I had was mint with dual carbides and the rubber mount reversed like people advise and fox shocks setup by an actual shop. I cringed at every single turn on it and couldn't sell it quick enough. I rode 2 other 08s also and same piss poor handling.

Im generally a pack leader on sleds/motorcycles so im not a sissy by any means either. On the 08 I found myself at the back of the pack struggling to even keep the rest of the pack in sight through the twisty wooded areas. I couldnt keep up if someone had a gun to my head. No exaggeration.

08s just either push hard through the turns or have inner ski lift no matter how much you throw your body around to try and avoid.

If all you do is ride straight lines a 08 will work just fine for you.

get a 2009 or newer with aftermarket skis at the very least. They are actually enjoyable to ride.

Im not bashing Nytros either, Ive had a 08 and 09's. Just my experience and opinion and im sure many guys with the 2009 or even better a 2010 would agree with me.

This is such a load of crap! I ride an 08 and have absolutely no problem keeping up with ANY other sleds. The sled definitely rides different than others but once you get used to it its hard to ride anything else. Don't be afraid to buy an 08 especially since they can be found at a great price. Add the Star kit and extend to a 128 for about $500 and you will love it. for another $1000 you can add a Zbroz front end and it will be phenomonal.

I also have an 08 with almost 5000 miles on it. Get new skis, ski doo pilot 6.9 here, a arm bushings, a Star relocate with 128" track, and ride the thing hard! I love mine! Who needs to spend $12,000 on a new Viper. I paid $6000 for mine new in 09. Never had a break down! No bent sub frame here either. Always starts, and I lead my group through the woods if I want too. Don't believe the 08 are no good! BS!

grizztracks said:
The slicast a-arms have a camber issue when mounted on a 2008 Nytro. The arms are actually to short. I ended up sending them back to Hygear and I thought they were going to look into the problem.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=125597

I made them work for me with no issues. But I did not go by their suggested settings.

Back