• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Catalyst 998t rumours

Arctic Cat has a parallel 700 twin in the Wildcat 700.
I think they are capable of building an engine like this with one more cylinder to mimic the triple. Note that engine has no stub shaft.
The stroke may be too long at 75mm, but that can be changed. The point is that I think they could do it.
If they do, I would hope they use the intake plumbing layout the same as they have now on the Tcat.

Arctic Cat has a parallel 700 twin in the Wildcat 700.
I think they are capable of building an engine like this with one more cylinder to mimic the triple. Note that engine has no stub shaft.
The stroke may be too long at 75mm, but that can be changed. The point is that I think they could do it.
If they do, I would hope they use the intake plumbing layout the same as they have now on the Tcat.
Isn’t that engine built by Kymco, or am I thinking of a different engine?

The 700 was a kymco engine.

It was an absolute dog and was the 3000 series in the cat platform. My riding buddy had one it could barely get above 55. I rode it and much preferred juniors 4000 as an entry level sled when stepping up to a fullsize.

You better hope the snow season comes back or it won't matter for Arctic Cat. Another bad snow season will = them being out of the sled business as well. There is enough 998 engines in Thief River Falls to go through the 2027 season, so it will be several years before you see anything I'd guess.

They will probably just offload them all to country cat for a discount.

As successful as the 998 Yamaha engine has been, what could Textron possibly come out with to equal or improve it? ZERO.
If someone at Cat/Yamaha/Textron thinks the 998 has gone stale, then add some spice (+2 more lbs of stock boost) with virtually zero risk to add some more pep in 'er step and attract more new and repeat customers.

The goal will likely be a lower target, say a doo 900 t class sled in a lighter weight chassis. Companies like textron don't try to build world beaters, the strive to build me too+ (similar but better in one or two small areas). That is the likely outcome of mixing bean counters and conservative product management.

I agree that the 998t should be there go forward 4s engine.

My local dealer was up in the factory last fall for training on the 858.
He said there was 3 engines in the dyne room that was NOT being talked about, but he's no dummy.

He saw a Turbo 2-Stroke
A 2 cylinder 4-stroke
And a Turbo 4-stroke which he thought was a 3 cylinder.
They were just walking by & when he stopped to look, they shuffled him away.

These may be NOTHING other than just random motors, but when he started asking questions his REP just winked at him.
He said the last time he got that wink, the 998 was introduced that spring.

The 998 Yamacat has been a slow boil in the market not unlike the Apexs were...it seems that more people are inclined to buy a SW each year, at least in my area, just as they are being discontinued into obsolescence.
In such a competitive market as sleds it is amazing that the 998 has easily been the king since 2017 with virtually no changes!
Like many things, we may not see this level of performance dominance ever again and I will continue to ride my "obsolete" Attak and Sidewinder for many years to come.

Back