• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Catalyst 998t rumours

A 998 in a Matryx chassis may work well? I'm told it's out there and Yamaha is willing to deal.

The 998 Yamacat has been a slow boil in the market not unlike the Apexs were...it seems that more people are inclined to buy a SW each year, at least in my area, just as they are being discontinued into obsolescence.
In such a competitive market as sleds it is amazing that the 998 has easily been the king since 2017 with virtually no changes!
Like many things, we may not see this level of performance dominance ever again and I will continue to ride my "obsolete" Attak and Sidewinder for many years to come.
The king of what? Speed? not everyone wants to go fast.

I admit "King" is a subjective term but when it comes to out of the crate speed, acceleration, throttle response, sound, engine reliability, fuel economy ect there is no competition to the 998 in all those categories.
One of the requirements of high top speed is big horsepower that creates huge benefits in other areas in the riding/driving experience.
Few people buy a Dodge Hellcat or a Ferrari for their top speed as well.

Why can’t Yamaha just continue supplying the 998 motor to cat? Maybe not enough volume to make it worth it to them?

Why can’t Yamaha just continue supplying the 998 motor to cat? Maybe not enough volume to make it worth it to them?
I'm thinking it may come with a price tag that is more than Cat wants to pay, but I'm not sure.

The 998 Yamacat has been a slow boil in the market not unlike the Apexs were...it seems that more people are inclined to buy a SW each year,
I think the more people ride one, the more find out what a great all-around trail sled they are.
MOST people just believe what they read. There are so many knotheads out there on the inter-webs who just blat " they are too heavy" blah blah blah, with no real world experience. Backpack/shovel wearing Clowns mostly.
Most people who ride my sled get off with a greater appreciation for what it is.

I personally haven't seen 1 Sidewinder I've come across over the past 7-8 years that has not been tuned. That tells me that "most" want to go fast. If you don't want to go fast there are many other slow options out there.

As successful as the 998 Yamaha engine has been, what could Textron possibly come out with to equal or improve it? ZERO.
If someone at Cat/Yamaha/Textron thinks the 998 has gone stale, then add some spice (+2 more lbs of stock boost) with virtually zero risk to add some more pep in 'er step and attract more new and repeat customers.
It's going to be a tough act to follow. Having owned and ridden 50+ snowmobiles in my lifetime, I personally believe that the tuned power steering Yamacat is the best trail snowmobile ever built - considering the overall balance of speed, handling, ride, and even reliability (considering boosted 2strokes are not as reliable as the 998 turned up). I own 4 of them now, and have had 6 altogether, and also have a Polaris Boost with Axis shocks. The overall performance and ride is second to none. Since boosting these sleds to 245 hp involves little more than a single 2 minute flash, I'm considering that "stock reliable". Amazing sled.

The goal will likely be a lower target, say a doo 900 t class sled in a lighter weight chassis. Companies like textron don't try to build world beaters, the strive to build me too+ (similar but better in one or two small areas). That is the likely outcome of mixing bean counters and conservative product management.

I agree that the 998t should be there go forward 4s engine.

CATS history was they liked to build world beaters however..... I think you'll see them back to their roots here in a few years with some sales and stability. Hopeful they can right the ship and continue using newer technology and perhaps even stick with Yamaha engines. Kymco built and in-house four-strokes I'm afraid won't cut it IMO.

It's going to be a tough act to follow. Having owned and ridden 50+ snowmobiles in my lifetime, I personally believe that the tuned power steering Yamacat is the best trail snowmobile ever built - considering the overall balance of speed, handling, ride, and even reliability (considering boosted 2strokes are not as reliable as the 998 turned up). I own 4 of them now, and have had 6 altogether, and also have a Polaris Boost with Axis shocks. The overall performance and ride is second to none. Since boosting these sleds to 245 hp involves little more than a single 2 minute flash, I'm considering that "stock reliable". Amazing sled.

Absolutely have to agree. I have had many sleds I've liked, some I have loved, some I have absolutely hated and despised, and there is not another machine I'd rater ride right now than the EPS Sidewinder. I have been building and trying to build the "ultimate turbo tail sled" for years. The turbo Apex's and 1200 Doo's I built were were all very fast for their time, but couldn't hold a candle to the easy steering, the handling, ride, reliability or has the ergonomics the 998 provides. I remember absolutely hating the old 2012 Cat ProCross turbo I had and swore I'd never own another, but getting a ride on my buds 17 LE Winder, I knew I'd have to have one. That one ride on his machine stays etched in my mind even today. As much as I loved my 1200 Doos, they didn't hold a candle to the Winders handling and ride qualities and the R-Motion didn't sway me enough to stick with the Doo's.

I switched to a 900R this season. There are things I like better on the Lynx, and things I liked better on my Sidewinder. One thing is clear though. The 900R engine does not hold a candle to my Tuned 998 engine.

The best performance analogy I can come up with is, the 998T is like having a 3/4 ton pickup with a 1000 ft/lb diesel, and the 900R is like having the same truck with a gas engine.

There may never be another engine like this one. I hope Cat and Yamaha come to an agreement and shoehorn it into the Catalyst.

Most manufacturers make the most money vertically integrating their business. Until cat had the cash to design and build an engine factory they needed to buy engines. Now they build their own 400's, 600's, 858's for their sleds. I assume 4 strokes are next. With Textron ownership, they can also sell engines to others (like Bass Pro Shops). It's always about ROI and leveraging capabilities to lower costs where you can. The Sno mo business is small potatoes for Textron but if they can leverage cat to feed other business lines, cat will continue to be of value. Large companies can have a few low profit dogs in their portfolio as long as they bring value to the more profitable parts of the business. We will see how long cat brings them value.

As successful as the 998 Yamaha engine has been, what could Textron possibly come out with to equal or improve it? ZERO.
If someone at Cat/Yamaha/Textron thinks the 998 has gone stale, then add some spice (+2 more lbs of stock boost) with virtually zero risk to add some more pep in 'er step and attract more new and repeat customers
IMHO building an engine to equal the 998 now that they know what to strive for would be fairly easy task this day and age. 998 is in its 8th year in the sleds , been a great motor but could be matched in a heart beat, possibly bettered.

Back