• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chain and Belt Problems on MCX

viperbusa

Extreme
Took my 2008 MCX 174 out this weekend and blew a belt apart the first day, and broke the chain in two the next day. They both happened luckly in deep snow pulling hard, but didn't crash. I probably should have checked or changed the belt, haven't since I bought it, but to the chain case. It has reverse in it, is this a bad idea? Checked the tension 5 rides ago, is that to long to go? Should I get rid of the reverse? Or should I just put another chain in it. Kinda make me nervous though if it happens at the wrong time next time.

how manny seasons on the chain?, was the belt old?, the amount of strain on those parts is hard to fathom , i never run a belt more than a year,as for chains i just change them out every couple of years

Sled has 1600 miles on it. I got it with 1100, so don't know how many on the belt. Guess I will put a new one on every 500 miles from now on. Chain would be the next thing to change every 1000 miles I guess. It doesn't look like the reverse should hurt the strength of the sled that I can tell. Just don't want it to break at the peak of a big hill.

Sorry for your problems,
Belt issues is a known problem, with turbo especially, gearing and clutching specific for your driving is a must to get as many miles as possible on a belt,
chain issues is usually not as common, what i'm thinking is that a 174" track put more stress on the drive components,
driving style is a big factor also, if you jump alot more strain is put on the chain, so maybe changing chain every season is a must, else every two season is common.

Going with a TEAM chain. Should I try a Dayco Ultamax belt, or is the stock one better? Just want the best belt on it I can get so this doesn't happen at the wrong time.

I change my chain every year. Cheaper than the case wich i did once, because chain piled up.I was told buy others to stick with yamaha belts, and 1 of those a season is cheap consideing the power we run through them.

I use yamaha belt. They works great for me. Last winter i try ultimax xs and blow it after a few runs!

I tried the Ultimax belts a few years ago and they just didn't last running boost. The 8DN belt is the best I have found but you have to have your clutching and gearing right with any belt. Running too tall gearing will also cause hot clutches which will lessen belt life. We try to not go over 1500km on a chain on both Nytro and Apex running 250hp+. Some of our sleds are over 300hp and a 13W chain needs to be replaced periodically, so much cheaper than a helicopter ride.

Am now just getting the apex fixed. It has a 19 top gear and a 38 lower. It should that be ok or can I gear it up to get more track speed?

Back