• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chain Tensioner

Nytro40th said:
09nytro said:
That's cool.....I'm still kicking around the doo 1200x and the viper ..not sure yet....
They both ride great......just doing as much homework as pos. on the procross..I know there will be a few things to fix or change ....so the chassis has been holding up good for you then a....
I was the same as you in contemplating between the viper and the doo 1200. The 1200 is a great sled, but the body style has not changed in 5 years or so and IMO looks ugly compared to the xp and xs. I rolled the dice and went with the viper.
I know I just can't get passed that .....just don't like the looks of the 1200

I too was thinking if the 1200 doo but after riding it it simply doesn't compare to the vipers ergos, throttle response, and overall fun factor. Didn't handle any better then my Nytro but their rear skid is AMAZING. Way too much body roll and push in the corners on the doo I rode.

Every doo I have ever rode had push though the corners...well the revs till now just never rode a 1200 before...I was really hoping that the viper would come in alittle lighter than the 1200 it's going to be close

Where is the Yamaha quality in this #*$&@ of a chaincase? Ore is this the quality level Yamaha is going to use;)

Tarzan said:
Where is the Yamaha quality in this #*$&@ of a chaincase? Ore is this the quality level Yamaha is going to use;)
Yamaha completely reengineered the chain chain case using none of cats parts but the housing and the tensioner. New gears and chains. Much heavier than the cat chains. Also was told by a yami engineer that the main reason for cat chain failure was blowing belts which should be a nonissue on the viper with yamaha clutches.

I went to the debut yesterday in winnipeg and was advised that the gears, chain are completely different than the cat.

I am going to really enjoy having reverse. Lived without it till now. The improvements Yamaha did to the chaincase are above and beyond what is needed. Yes the Cat guys had issues in 2012 but they fixed it and the vast majority have not had issues with chaincase since. Reverse has been a pain in our Phazers since day one but most will not give it up.

So what kind of improvements have Yamaha done to the chaincase??

Ok,but what about this auto tensioner that can't keep up with the rapid changes between off and on throttle that someone says?
it will over tighten the chain and have premature chain failure?
And will it be ok With turbo use,300hp? I know the nytro chaincase is ok With a turbo at 350hp.

Sounds like some cat guys use the manual chain adjuster from the race sleds. Is aftermarket and homemade fixes but the issue really did pretty much go away with cats update.

I used the manual chain adjuster from the race sled in mine.
Problem solved.
I doubt it will be a problem at all with 135 hp.
I wouldn't worry.

Back