• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chain Tensioner

chaincase

We were told at the dealer meeting in oldforge ny that allthe gears and chain were all yamaha parts,where cat will have there own chain and gear setup.Guess we will wait and see.

I believe this because the Cat clutches which we know are being used in the cats are a different dia than the Yamaha clutches. This difference will require different gearing to work properly. So two sets of gears. AC and Yamaha.

Clutch dia. doesn't matter, clutch ratio does. Yamaha is 7.06-1 to .86-1 Cats is? but is likely very close.

Well since they are using there clutches and gears we still should able to use the gear charts on mountain performance ....l like to run at a 2.00 so that would be 20/40 gears

Also somthing to keep in mind is that the Viper/XF7000 uses 8 tooth 3" pitch drivers, which are larger in diameter then the 9 tooth 2.52" drivers we are use to. The driver difference effectively makes the final gear ratio taller. (same effect as putting taller tires on your truck)
I have some additional driver size info here at http://fourstrokesolutionsllc.webs.com/ ... edtech.htm

Bill

The info I got is the XTX is the only model with 3" pitch, the rest is 2.86.

Alatalo said:
All Arctic Cat 129" and 137" are 2.86" pitch.
All Arctic Cat 141", 153" and 162" are 3.00" pitch.

This will be the same in the SR Viper, for sure.

Good info Alatalo ;)!

Looking through the Cat parts catalog, it appears that the short track 2.86" drivers are non-extrovert, while the 3" pitch drivers are extroverts.
Not sure on the tooth count for the Cat 2.86" drivers though.

Doing the preseason Maintenance on my 2014 Viper XTX, read trhough the owners manual about chain tensioning. Manual says finger tight, then back off 1/4 turn... Did this and started sled and it seems to be LOUD. Have tried doing some research but havent found too much, one YouTube video was a guy stating that the backing off 1/4 turn was incorrect and you are supposed to go ONE and a HALF Turns back? Any one have any clue regarding this. The loud noise is coming directly from chaincase tower area on sled, so i believe i may have it too tight... any help is appreciated. Youtube video link:
1:55 minute mark.

Y

Back