• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chain Tensioner

Did cat change the chaincase gears and chain?
Oh you should post your location site rules.

What I understand from the sled show is that the 2014 Cat and the Viper chain case is the EXACT same, they both have updates, the same updates for the coming year. I asked this question directly to the rep.

What the exact changes are I don't know, I have not seen the cat's chain case in the previous year so i can not comment on that..

I do know you can get gears and a chain from TEAM ...and take the reverse out....that's what I'm looking at doing and putting a different tensioner in it

I would not lose reverse to try aftermarket. Trust me. Since the Cat updates to chain case there is very little issue.

I hear you !
It's just an option if I have to.....I always gear down anyways to get more on bottom

I have 20/40 in my nytro right now ,I will get my buddies apex out of the hole about 1/2 sled till 60 then he is gone :jump:
But I really don't care about going fast.....

In 2013 Cat changed the mechanism used to shift the chaincase into reverse. Mainly they made the fork have constant engagement with the stepper motor that shifts it by adding more teeth to the fork. What they did changed the way the reverse mechanism works for the better. This solved most issues. If Yamaha adds a delay to what Cat already did it should be a good design. There are 3d pics of what they did if you do a search.

Redesigned for 2013 or not, there was still a recall to change the shift fork on some 2013 models.

http://www.arcticchat.com/forum/cat-ser ... sleds.html

Evil rumours indicate they ran out of redesigned parts and had to use 2012 parts to finish the 2013 sleds...The affected sleds were then recalled once they got more redesigned parts. Don't know if this is true.

The problem goes back to the design. Second set of gears second chain adds weight/rotating mass and completely unnessasary complexity, a very poor design. Cat, Yamaha and everyone else have or had reverse systems that worked without issue. Just use a good stepper/servo motor. That system worked in the automotive industry, all our 4x4s use it on the transfer case and it works, (no second set of chain and gears). ENGINEERS NEVER MAKE MISTAKES, THEY ONLY MAKE REVISIONS.

Back