• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

changing exhaust donuts

NB-NYTRO

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Project cheap Summer Nytro buy:

I have the gas tank, seat off, removed exhaust cover under the fuel tank. I used a little heat and got three bolts out holding the clamps on.

Am I able to just slide the pipes forward enough just to install the new donuts?

The sled has 4900 miles and the donuts are completley gone.. its like the vanished into this air.. lol

People have said on here that you can do that, but I had no luck moving the pipe enough. I had to remove the 3 pipes as well in order to install the donuts.

What I did was drilled out the rivits holding the header hanger on and moved the header back ....seemed alittle easier then taking the flex pipes off

If you can get a helper with relatively strong hands, have him squeeze the accordian section back far enough so you can slip the donuts in. That's how I did it, took literally a few minutes to change the donuts.

Ya second pair of hands and you should be able to do it without having to remove it or to remove rivets. I had my friend help me and we just had to loosen the pipe so it would slide back a bit more, but we were able to squeeze in the new ones without any damage to them.

If you are going to go through the work of replacing them probably go copper if you didn't already buy them.

If you cant get the donuts installed with out taking off the 3 short pipes, its not that big of a job to take them off. 6 nuts. When putting it all back together, I left those nuts loose until my clamps were tight. I think it helped seat the donuts properly easier. My exhaust was cracked and I had it welded. I think it was deformed a little from when my track flew off. x3 on the copper donuts.

Around 3-4000 miles. You will know if they get bad, rattling and backfiring. I have done a lot of these and agree, go copper and never do them again!

NB-NYTRO said:
Well this sled has 4,900miles and donuts are completly gone. Its like they were never there.

Mine has 5000 km and was pretty close to the same. Started it last night and was amazed how much better it sounded with the copper donuts in.

Put on my new MBRP header yesterday and when I opened the hot box I could tell my donuts were pooched. My clampes had rotated around somewhat and I had enough gasket material left to make about 1 1/2 donuts total. plus there was little to no torque on the clamp bolts. Had bought copper donuts late last season to change them up this year. Hopefully these new copper ones will make a difference. I at least know they'll last longer than 4000 km's.

Back