• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

code 81 - looking for service bulletein s2009-008 Bulletin

phazerwill

Lifetime Member
07 phazer gt left me stranded on the trail and I had to be towed home, first time I have been stranded by the phazer at 10,500 miles, but thanks to this forum I figured out the ground wire in the yellow connector was bad.

Does anyone have a link or a copy they can send me for this service bulletin, I ordered the updated wiring sub harness. thanks, will

Phazerwill, you can find all the yamaha service bulletin's in the VIP section. Hope that helps you out!

I did the one on my FX last season as preventive maintenance. Only took maybe 20 min. I did find my connector slightly melted.

I am amazed at how common this issue has become. A co-worker with an 09 GT just had this done under warranty.

I've had no issues but may have to add this to my summer list of to-dos.

I am amazed at how common this issue has become. A co-worker with an 09 GT just had this done under warranty.

I've had no issues but may have to add this to my summer list of to-dos.

Only one of the three Phazers in our group had the problem of not working but it was such an easy upgrade we did all three.

07 phazer gt left me stranded on the trail and I had to be towed home, first time I have been stranded by the phazer at 10,500 miles, but thanks to this forum I figured out the ground wire in the yellow connector was bad.

Does anyone have a link or a copy they can send me for this service bulletin, I ordered the updated wiring sub harness. thanks, will
Hey phazerwill, I'm dealing with a code 81 on one of my Phazers (07 Mountain Lite), and thinking this could help me. What did you do in your case, just replaced the wiring harness? Where did you order that?

I also had my fuel pump fail, about the same time as the code 81 was showing up. With the code 81 flashing last time I rode my machine, it would clear or go away after stopping then restarting throughout the day. But next time I was about to go out the machine died and I haven't heard the fuel pump prime since. So I may have dual problems, but finally isolated the fuel pump yesterday and pretty sure it needs to be replaced. I ran a jumper from battery straight to my sled with good fuel pump and it hummed; same jumper to dead sled, and no sound from fuel pump. Seemed pretty conclusive. So I'm hoping to find one today. Any suggestions on where to shop for a fuel pump would be helpful!

However I'm also trying to isolate the cause of that code 81. I unplugged several wiring clips yesterday, chasing down from left side handlebar and bar warmer switch, added dielectric grease to all and replugged, but still the code 81 flashing. Not sure if maybe once I replace fuel pump and the machine runs again, maybe the code 81 will clear?
Appreciate any input!

Hey phazerwill, I'm dealing with a code 81 on one of my Phazers (07 Mountain Lite), and thinking this could help me. What did you do in your case, just replaced the wiring harness? Where did you order that?

I also had my fuel pump fail, about the same time as the code 81 was showing up. With the code 81 flashing last time I rode my machine, it would clear or go away after stopping then restarting throughout the day. But next time I was about to go out the machine died and I haven't heard the fuel pump prime since. So I may have dual problems, but finally isolated the fuel pump yesterday and pretty sure it needs to be replaced. I ran a jumper from battery straight to my sled with good fuel pump and it hummed; same jumper to dead sled, and no sound from fuel pump. Seemed pretty conclusive. So I'm hoping to find one today. Any suggestions on where to shop for a fuel pump would be helpful!

However I'm also trying to isolate the cause of that code 81. I unplugged several wiring clips yesterday, chasing down from left side handlebar and bar warmer switch, added dielectric grease to all and replugged, but still the code 81 flashing. Not sure if maybe once I replace fuel pump and the machine runs again, maybe the code 81 will clear?
Appreciate any input!
Do you have a good ground for both of those circuits?
The solid black wire is ground.

Do you have a good ground for both of those circuits?
The solid black wire is ground.
I am not sure. I did check voltage delivered to the fuel pump with my multimeter, and it was 12+ V for a 2-3 second duration, then dropped to <2V. This is all with the key in the auxiliary pre-start position, so I think that timing corresponds to the short duration the fuel pump is supposed to run prior to turning the key to start mode. Anyway I'm assuming that voltage reading shows that I have good ground for the fuel pump circuit, but am I off base on that?

For the code 81 circuit, I'm not sure on ground. Honestly a little overwhelmed since there are so many different wires and plugs I'm not sure which wire is ground. I can go dig in and explore that some more though.

I am not sure. I did check voltage delivered to the fuel pump with my multimeter, and it was 12+ V for a 2-3 second duration, then dropped to <2V. This is all with the key in the auxiliary pre-start position, so I think that timing corresponds to the short duration the fuel pump is supposed to run prior to turning the key to start mode. Anyway I'm assuming that voltage reading shows that I have good ground for the fuel pump circuit, but am I off base on that?

For the code 81 circuit, I'm not sure on ground. Honestly a little overwhelmed since there are so many different wires and plugs I'm not sure which wire is ground. I can go dig in and explore that some more though.
Then use the black wire at the pump as your ground source.

Back