• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Controversy, stud or dont stud

hemihead said:
Studs do NOT increase safety.

I couldnt agree with you less. But you're correct about the common sense. Now common sense + suds = a winning and safe combination ;)!

Oh yea drink a bunch of beer and go riding real unsafe and deadly combination. :drink: :drink: :drink:

wolfie said:
Sled Dog said:
Well if you are at a safe speed going into a corner safely there is nothing to worry about as you are probably not going fast enough to hurt yourself or even roll the sled. People going to fast may the problem more so than the safety issue. People who have them probably feel they can travel faster becasue of them.

Oh baloney!!!!! :ORC Ice happens on uphills, downhills and corners, and you can be the safest driver in the world and you're still gonna be in trouble in situations like that without studs. You'd be endangering others by not having them as well. Studs give you better control, better stopping. We've had these stud threads for years, and some of you guys want to rationalize not using them, fine. But don't try and imply that people who run them just ride too fast. They're in more control than you. And yes, sorry, you can travel faster with them.

Simple stay to the right of the trail and go off it if you have to or ride the ridge.

Sled Dog said:
hemihead said:

I couldnt agree with you less. But you're correct about the common sense. Now common sense + studs = a winning and safe combination ;)!

Oh yea drink a bunch of beer and go riding real unsafe and deadly combination. :drink: :drink: :drink:

no, no, no, STUDS, not SUDS
drinking + sledding (or driving or boating or jet-packing) is just plain DUMB

hemihead said:
Sled Dog said:
hemihead said:

I couldnt agree with you less. But you're correct about the common sense. Now common sense + studs = a winning and safe combination ;)!

Got Ya!!!! I knew you meant studs bud. ;)! ;)!

Sled Dog said:
hemihead said:
Sled Dog said:
hemihead said:

Got Ya!!!! I knew you meant studs bud. ;)! ;)!

;)! cool , thanks

Aren't studs the things you find in walls behind the drywall ;)! ? I thank the man upstairs I am fortunate enough to have a great paying job in an area of the snow belt that doesn't require me to argue for or against studs. Lets see you stud advocates get around in this (see picture) :moon: on a 121" studded track. Just to give you an idea of how deep the fresh powder is; my wife who is standing in the trench is 5'5" tall. No ice with in reach of any picks for miles :tg:

Now go to SW and watch the arguements about rider ability and long tracks (151" and above) vs shorts tracks (144" and lower). Same is being argued guys with short tracks live on the coast where hunidity and elevation creates a wetter snow (thinking long tracks are for guys with no experience in powder), and those of us who desire a long track & ride in the land locked Rocky Mountain region with higher elevations and less humidity fluffy powder with very little lift characteristics.

Attachments

• RMK trenched below Wolverine.jpg
    RMK trenched below Wolverine.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 139
I have been riding for 35 years. With and without studs. Never wrecked a sled. I could take them or leave them. My wife rides her sled behind me...and it WILL be studded.

Apex GT
STUDDED!

sparkie
if you are going to ride trails and there is ever the possibility of rain, freezing rain, hail or sleet i would suggest using studs.
i ride maine it has a tendency to rain there every once in a while. the rain freezes and causes some pretty nasty corners.
i think it is funny that just about everyone would agree that carbides on your skis are required for safe trail riding but studs are not. they serve the same purpose. added traction. end of story

this sport has its share of morons just like any sport. people ride like idiots because they are idiots. not because they have studs. the moron that passed you at 100 mph would still pass you at 100 mph even without studs. difference is he would have been even more out of control.

lead,are u saying carbides on your ski's are safer than studs in your track,last time i checked my brakes slowed the track down not the ski's...ive had many sleds with studs and without studs,if u put them in correctly u will not pull studs through,and yes i have whipped into a corner on GLARE ICE!!!! and said o s#@t and wished i had studs,but kept it under control...this year for my apex im not sure yet ;)!

I have run the 05 Warrior without studs. Not even close....Put 108 down the middle and would never ride without them. I ride in the Northeast of NY and with the way trail conditions are, I will keep the studs! ;)!

:yam: :4STroke: :rocks:

ok another senario try to stop w/out studs when the road you are about to stop for is coming up from a very steep hill and is on the crown,in other words the road is crowned on both sides and you are aproaching from down the embankment and you would need very good speed to make the hill w/out studs,but now you need to stop very quickly at the top so you dont end up in the middle of the road and oncoming traffic,this is very real here in fort kent maine,we have alot of steep grades w/roads just on the other side and more times than not ice foarms on the hill,why because someone forgot to stud there sled and spun all the snow from the trail,do what you want but i will never run w/out studs for very long,i might give it a try and the next week find myself studding from some clode encounter,down here in southern maine where i live and ride when i cant travel,we have alot of rain that turns everything to ice so w/out studs would be stupid. :tg:

Candyredrx1 said:
Rotax! said:
Sled Dog, lets see you go down a hill or better yet stop in the middle of a hill without studs. It's safety first, reguardless of the speed.
Rotax,

Why would you stop in the middle of a hill?? would you stop in the middle of a interstate with people flyin 70 MPH??? Safety first, pull off the side of the road or trail off the groomed sectioned and everyone is safe.
Maybe someone tried to slow down going down hill w/out studs and got dideways in the trail,and the next person in line is now trying to stop,thak goodness they have studs,now they can stop and not pig pile into the group that does not have studs... :ORC

35 years in the saddle , rode with em rode without em don't want to be in the position wishing I had em on. Here in the northeast we have to many icy days. Will never be without em :Rockon: :Rockon: :Rockon:

How about coming down a hill to a road crossing? I've seen 3 sled rear-end eachother, pushing the front one out into oncoming traffic. Luckily no one was hurt. There was no excess speed, everyone was going slow because they KNEW it was icy.

My warrior was the first sled that I had studs on, and I won't ride without them now. Anytime there may be an icy corner or hill that you may encounter I would suggest them.

Now ideally, I would have a 1" studded track for early and late conditions and a 1.5" for those snowy days. I don't see that happening though, so my 1.25" will be studded.

Sled Dog said:
wolfie said:
Sled Dog said:
Rotax! said:
No I am a guy who rides and has a blast doing it at the speed I know is safe for me and anyone else cause at that speed I am in total control. You sound like one of the guys who think the trails are your own speedway. Yes I do let people pass me all the time.

You passed judgement over nothing....("it sounds like you need to slow down"), so forgive me if I thought you came off as one of those judgemental types who thinks they set the trail pace. I ride with studs because they give me more control, safety and performance. And in 36 years of snowmobiling, I've never wrecked a sled, anyone elses, or have been a menace on the trail. I'd like to think that's not an accident.

Back